Blog

Family visit from the US

May 23, 2016

In the 19. century many people from Norway emigrated to the US because of difficulties to find work and lot of poverty in Norway. Specially many people from Karmøy which is an island located on the west coast of Norway took this trip across the atlantic ocean to look for a better life.Because of this many people from Karmøy have relatives in the US and the citizens of the island are pretty attached to USA and american culture.

My boyfriend has relatives from Karmøy and is one of those with relatives from the US. His family is primarily from Seattle, Washington and he has kept contact with specially one person in his family. His name is Sean and he was in Norway because one person in my boyfriend’s family past away recently and he was present in the funeral. Not bad at all traveling that far for taking part in the occasion.

This weekend the organized a meeting in Stavanger since he was going to travel back to the US today from the airport of Stavanger. He was staying at another relatives home, Kenneth with his wife Olaug, and we were invited to their place. It was really nice and they served us rømmegrøt which is a traditional meal in Norway similar to oatmeal but with a different taste in it. Me myself had rømmegrøt for the first time last christmas and I actually liked it, despite the different taste of it. I have never met him before and was exited to get to know more of my boyfriends family and specially that came so far to visit us.

We talked about all kinds of topics and we got a lot of laughs. Sean is working at a boat as a machine engineer, Kenneth is working in Bergen at Statoil whilst Olaug is an assistant principal at a school. We talked about how important it is to work in a job that we are passionate about and that is more important than the status and the salary of the job. I enjoyed their company and I think they are really nice people. Actually, me and Johan are planning to go to US to visit Sean but first we need to save some money haha.

It was a very nice experience to get to know the new people. I am a very social person and I love to hear about how people are living their lives. I believe that life is all about connecting with people and I like to believe in the good side of everyone. This was my experience of yesterday.

DSC_0311

DSC_0313

DSC_0315

No Comments

• Reply Karina Pinella June 13, 2016 at 5:46 am

Thanks for visiting and liking Banana Nice Cream.

• Reply rfdumais June 13, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Great post! Thanks for reading my blog today! Glad you enjoyed it!

• Reply gruundehn June 14, 2016 at 3:47 am

When I was on active duty with the USAF I had an NCO who was of Norwegian descent. He told me about how he found his wife. He was a pen pal with her for a while and love developed and he went to Norway to marry her. It turns out that she was a school teacher hired from outside the village to teach the school kids. It also turned out that she was the only person in the village that was not related to him in the degree of Second Cousin or closer. I had no way of verifying his story and admit that he could have been pulling my leg.

• Reply thiaBasilia June 20, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Very nice. Question, How you found https://thiabasilialicona.wordpress.com/2015/07/11/a-door-mat-or-a-martyr-syndrome-got-nothing-to-do-with-humility/?
    I have not updated that blog in a long time. Your like came as a surprise. Would like to know your thoughts on the posts you read in the blogs I am inspired to create. The newest blog? http://www.thia-basilia.com/.
    Hope to hear from you some more. 🙂

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 20, 2016 at 11:01 pm

I found the blog here https://shekharabnave.wordpress.com and I saw that it was not updated for a while and I think that the posts was very nice and thats why I liked it to give you some motivation to blog. I will check out your new blog 🙂

• Reply poetlou June 21, 2016 at 3:51 am

I am known as poetlou and I am Hispanic ( puertorican and Spaniard ) to tell you about my life would take the whole page , but it can be seen on my bio.
    I write poetic stories and put them into rhyme and verse ( which I find harder to do than most )
    my poetry is easily read and understood by everyone because you do not have to
    analize it and jump to your own conclusions.
    I am known as a raconteur poet who writes about everyday life and I can put it into
    a comical situation also.
    I was born and raised in New York City and am now living in Florida.
    I am a lyricst also with three songs on utube under ” louis rams songs vol 1 ”
    and I have close to 1000 poems on ” poemhunter.com ”
    I have three short novels on Amazon ( poems ) and am trying to expand my horizons.

I think thou that my favorites that I wrote is called ” stories of hope series ” 13 stories
    I am married 51 years now and have a daughter and grandson living here in florida also.

your blog is what is needed here because you relate to daily life and are family oriented
    love and understanding is so badly needed in this world of political hypocracy.
    let the world see the beautiful heart behind the woman . and thanks for sharing.

• Reply Malctg - The Foureyed Poet. June 22, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Hi Roberta. So nice to meet you. May I Wish you well with your blog. Thank you for liking my poem “That Defining Moment!” Peace and Best wishes. The Foureyed Poet.