Blog Life Society

Brazilian living in the Norwegian culture

September 28, 2016

As many of you guys know I am Brazilian that is living in Norway. The cultural differences between Norway and Brazil are huge and it can be very difficult for a Brazilian to adapt in the Norwegian society. Even though I have come a long way there are still some things where I feel different but there are also some aspects of my culture that I would not exchange with the Norwegian culture.

Brazilians are loud and talk with their hands and this is an aspect that I had to work a lot with when I first came to Norway. I felt that the Norwegians were so quite and I associated every Norwegian with the rich people in Brazil because they are more calmed when they talk and they never shout when they are speaking. I have been able to calm down and not use my hands when I am speaking with Norwegians. Specially elderly people in Norway can get a bit afraid if I would go on acting like a full blood Brazilian that I am.

When I think that something is funny I tend to laugh with the whole body where Norwegians are not that loud and when they laugh you will only hear a quite haha. Most of my friends thinks it is only fun when I do that and that is why I don’t consider it something that I need to change.

The next thing in line is that we Brazilians don’t like to wait when we want to say something which is considered as very rude in Norway. My boyfriend has helped me lot with this and I am now more able to wait when I have a conversation with someone haha..

I mentioned that there are some things from my culture that I will definitely keep. I think that the Norwegians sometimes can be a bit cold and it can be hard to get to know them. This is because they don’t like to reveal their personality to people that they don’t know. I don’t find this aspect of the Norwegian culture good at all and I will never change this side of me. Connecting with new people is something that I love and I am glad that my Brazilian culture is helping me in order to not being afraid of talking with others. This has also helped me to integrate into the Norwegian society because I know a lot of people and having a huge network is beneficial in many situations in life. You never know when you will need a friend.

• Reply maureenrose7 August 6, 2016 at 4:11 pm

well first of all that pic of you is fantastic you are just beautiful inside and out! and secondly sometimes yes i will agree there is a time and place for letting your whole personality bubble up and out! i myself have to pull back the Maureen at times hahaa! but I can not imagine that anyone could be cold towards you. what a gracious, joyous and fun loving person you must be to be in the same company with! 🙂

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 13, 2016 at 5:00 am

you really made me smile with your nice words and it means a lot to me 🙂 Norwegians like to have their distance and do not easily connect with others. However, I have some good friends here and feel well integrated:)
      Thanks for reading!

• Reply maureenrose7 August 13, 2016 at 5:05 am

I am glad to hear! and you are welcome! 🙂

• Reply flyingcolours603 August 6, 2016 at 5:03 pm

i loved the difference between Brazilian and Norway culture new information good job

• Reply alvarezgalloso August 6, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Thank you for your information about the cultural differences between Norway and Brazil. It was great.

• Reply elynjay1 August 6, 2016 at 7:02 pm

This actually got me laughing… It’s a nice thing to know the culture of other countries… Now I know a bit of Brazilian and Norwegian. #interesting.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 13, 2016 at 4:55 am

I’m glad I could make you laugh 🙂
      Thanks for reading!

• Reply elynjay1 August 13, 2016 at 10:09 am

☺…. You are welcome.

• Reply pawan35 August 6, 2016 at 10:01 pm

HAPPY FRIENDSHIP DAY
    BE BLESSED
    NAMASTE

• Reply Papatia August 6, 2016 at 10:48 pm

We talk with our hands too >_< haha! Good to know more abut ya.

• Reply gunnardeckare August 7, 2016 at 12:33 pm

I hope you keep your Brazilian temperament! Norwegians, and Swedes like me, should try to be a little bit more open and show their feelings

• Reply inceptionmindcom September 8, 2016 at 4:12 pm

Wel scandinavian country people prefer it quite. But talking about India itself you get so much cultural diversification that you will be confused

• Reply Sudhir Chauhan September 28, 2016 at 6:49 am

change is the key….. we move and settle in new places and learn their culture…. but we also should not forget our own…..

• Reply Hira September 28, 2016 at 6:52 am

I work in India with Scandinavian , love them and I noticed the same difference as you said , albeit in my case between India and Nordics. They are quite , honest but not so open people , but I love being loud and open. It is always interesting to hear about cultural difference.
    I heard Norway is beautiful , cold could be killing 😉 Enjoy your days.

• Reply kristinakoti September 28, 2016 at 9:39 am

It’s probably the weather :D. Albania and other Mediterranean countries have the same features, Loud, gesticulating very expressive, easily connecting ^_^

• Reply kbeezyisviral September 28, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I’m definitely a person who laughs with their entire body as well, and can be a bit loud at times, which I realize can be intimidating and a bit overwhelming. Cultures that are more reserved like Norwegians, see it as threatening and rude. They have a larger area of personal space. I’ve met a lot of people from all different parts of the globe, and it’s refreshing to learn about other cultures, and embrace them. As an African Canadian, and being from North America, we’re known to be a little too boisterous at times.

• Reply Sakerinha October 28, 2016 at 3:53 pm

It`s interesting to read about a Brazilian`s experiences of adapting to a European culture. I`m British and currently living in Brazil, so experiencing many of these things in reverse! I don`t know about you, but living in such a different culture has given me new perspectives on my own country which I definitely didn`t have before… I now realise what I love about my own culture but also what I want to hold onto from my experiences abroad. I love how welcoming people are here in Brazil. You can meet someone once and then they invite you to their home, which is something we wouldn`t do straight away in my own country. I can understand why you have found some Europeans to seem a bit cold in comparison, but I think you just have to get to know people a bit more before they start to feel like a friend. Enjoy your experience!

• Reply fritzrick December 15, 2016 at 7:37 pm

The differences between western countries aren`t huge at all, especially if you if differences are compared between Asian and Western countries.