advice Blog Daily Daily Prompts Life

How to free yourself from addictions

October 6, 2016

Have you ever wanted to make a change in your life without knowing quite how to realise your wish? It can be a small thing or a big thing that require a lot of effort but both require you to make a decision and act on it. The majority of us have a battle that we fight in our lives that we desperate want to change. It can be start to go to the gym, eat more healthy, quit smoking etc.. The list is long of challenges that a person might face.

Johan has used a nicotine product that is called snus. I believe that it is called snuff in English and it gives the similar effect that cigarets do. Actually 1 snuff contains the same nicotine as 4 cigarets so it is much stronger. Johan has used it for 10 years and it is actually very costly. One box costs 80 kroners which is around $10 and there were days when he could use one box a day. Obviously this resulted very expensive for a student like Johan was and he had a big desire of quit using the snuff. Additionally it gives bad breath and it makes you teeth yellow. Quit snuffing is really hard because of the high level of nicotine and many try without succeeding. Johan has tried a couple of times as well but failed every time. I have encouraged him to quit and to be honest I had sort of given up my desire to make him quit.

This summer was the breakthrough where he finally managed to realise his dream. I remember it like it was yesterday an evening for 39 days ago when he was taking a shower and I came in to brush my teeth when he said “today I will quit using the snuff”. I could not believe my own ears when he continued and told me to throw his last snuff in the garbage. I became very glad but I found it hard to believe that he would actually be able to quit this time.

Now it is 39 days since he quit using the snuff and he is not thinking about it as much as before. I have asked him what inspired him to quit and he told me that it was a reason for quitting. His reasons is that he wants to spend his money on fun things instead of putting snuff in his mouth all day long haha. I could not be happier since we can do fun things together with the money instead of him using them on himself. A night out in the city, a visit on a restaurant etc.

He has actually saved 3100 kroners ($385) since he quit snuffing.

If you are thinking about throwing away your cigarets or snuff you should have a firm reason for why you want to quit. You should not just quit without preparing yourself and find yourself a strong motivation for quitting. Johan told me that quit using the snuff was like losing a good friend and that he actually has felt a bit down and sad in this period. My advice as a partner is that if your partner is quitting you should be supportive and understand frustration and anger. There were times when he was angry at me for no reason and unfair but I did not say anything because I knew that it was the lack of snuff that talked to me. Be understanding is the best you can do if your partner quits.

Now Johan is 100% free of nicotine and it is just lovely. If you are trying to quit and want some tips on how Johan managed to realise his breakthrough feel free to ask. Johan is happy to answer you guys.

Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Roberta-Pimentel-122081677873993/

• Reply alvarezgalloso October 6, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Congratulations on Johan for quitting Snuff. Thanks for this article on addictions. I have reduced my Caffeine Intake as well as Sugar

• Reply pawan35 October 6, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Hey sweetie cutie congratulations to You and Johan…….. Johan great work, Sir…… Really when we are committed and promise to self with firm determination nothing is impossible….

• Reply Susan Halloran October 6, 2016 at 11:16 pm

I quit smoking cigarettes 4 years ago and I had been a 4 pack a day smoker 🙁 I tried before that but never had a firm grip of why quitting was important to me. After all it calmed my nerves. It wasn’t till I looked at it as an actual drug that I was finally able to throw them away and never pick one up again. They are legal, but just as addictive and dangerous to your body as illegal drugs. Bravo to Johan!!

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 6, 2016 at 11:21 pm

Johan: Wow! What an amazing achievement you made. I imagine that it was hard to cut from that much to nothing but I guess that finding a motivation helped us both. I agree that it is a dangerous legal drug.

• Reply Anne J. October 7, 2016 at 12:08 am

Fantastic for him. My husband and son, even my father, are all struggling to truly give up the nicotine. I was lucky enough to get pregnant at almost 40 and when I gave birth I just didn’t like it anymore. I went back to smoking with my first 2 kids. Giving up an addiction is difficult if the person does not have the right motivation. Not many of us get lucky. 🙂

• Reply sazonado12 October 7, 2016 at 12:35 am

Congrats to Johan and you. Quitting an addiction is a very difficult job but so rewarding!

• Reply motomazine October 7, 2016 at 1:13 am

What a nice thing if we can stop our habit/quitting something thats not good for our health.

• Reply petakaplan October 7, 2016 at 5:43 am

Congrats to him. Not easy to wuit cold turkey.

We have many drugs today in addition to what we think of as hard core drugs and tobacco….such as caffeine and sugar. These are hard core addictions. Watch someone try to get off sugar. It ain’t pretty.

Good post

Peta

• Reply petakaplan October 7, 2016 at 6:34 am

Wuit = quit

Excuse the typo

• Reply Chiradeep October 7, 2016 at 3:53 pm

What an amazing testimony of getting freedom from addictions! This article can be an inspiration to many who are under the bondage of some or other additions.

Very well written article Roberta.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 7, 2016 at 3:57 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you liked it 🙂

• Reply Chiradeep October 7, 2016 at 3:58 pm

Going through your articles… reading the interview… don’t disturb now 😂😂😂

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 7, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Haha. I will not, read in peace 😉

• Chiradeep October 7, 2016 at 4:00 pm

Yes… and searching an opportunity to invite you as Candles Online’s guest.