Blog sosial media

Personal hygiene; a corporate social responsibility?

October 10, 2016

Today I want to write about a topic that is expected that everyone is focused on and takes care of. It is expected at your workplace, the university, social gatherings and other places you might go. Even though it is expected there is no law for taking care of it, at least not in Norway where I live. You probably wondering what I’m writing about, right? It is personal hygiene.

This can be culture related as well where in some cultures it is very important to have a good personal hygiene whilst in others they don’t put that much focus on it. It can also be status related. There are different degrees of it. One interesting fact is that it is unhealthy to shower too many times in a day. Yes it is possible to be «too clean», it sounds strange but according to a recent study they said that we need some bacterias on our body in order to be resistent against certain things.

I want to share a story with you guys about the topic that I’m writing about. Yesterday, I and my boyfriend were at the supermarket to buy ingredients for a soup that we wanted to prepare. When we were standing in the line for paying in the cashier it was a lady in front of us that smelled very badly. It was actually so annoying that we could not stand behind her and had to switch line.

This makes me wonder about some things. Doesn’t she notice that she smells? If I smell I always recognize it and I do something about it right away. And if my first question is yes then my other question would be why she doesn’t do anything about it. When we are at home then we are not bothering others but when we are standing in the line at the supermarket we should think of the wellbeing of other people around us. I don’t want to be rude but the smell was so strong that we wanted to throw up. The problem her is that what we were annoyed about is not a crime. It is not against the law to smell badly even though other people gets affected it is only a normative rule. But it is a corporate social responsibility.

How do we solve it? Well, it cannot be directly solved actually. You cannot call the police and get the person arrested for smelling badly. But every country should have some attitude campaigns where it should be put emphasize on personal hygiene. Just as the researchers stated in their study about being «too clean» it is also unhealthy to be too dirty. In fact it is not only bothering the people next to that person for a short time but it will harm the person when we consider his/her personal hygiene in the long run. So yes it is the governments responsibility to deal with this issue.

What are your opinions about this? What methods would you propose in order to get people to care more about their personal hygiene? Or do you think that we just should not care about it?

Follow me on  Facebook and Instagram

• Reply wided23 June 9, 2016 at 4:38 pm

It’s realy interesting! smelling good is more important than nice-looking, this is my view about the real beauty! I think that nose has an impact deeper than eyes!

• Reply wided23 June 9, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Reblogged this on wids23blog.

• Reply A tongue that Blah 👅 June 9, 2016 at 4:51 pm

I agree that personal hygiene is OKAY. But, not that much of it. Like a complete hygiene freak.😪😎😚

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 10, 2016 at 10:00 pm

I agree, but it’s not good if you annoying other people with a bad smell if you understand me 🙂

• Reply Jeff Cann June 9, 2016 at 5:54 pm

Hmm, this hits home. I’m going to be generous and wonder if this is a one-off sort of thing. I typically have 3 hard workouts per week. Two hard spin classes that I instruct and one run that will last anywhere from 90 minutes to 4 hours. After any of these, I stink. Really, REALLY STINK. The aroma that comes to mind is cat-pee. (Yes I know this is a sign of ketosis – I’ve consumed my carbs and fat & I’m moving on to protein). Often, I need to pop in somewhere to get something to eat and drink before I get home. Possibly, this is the case with your friend yesterday. Food for thought?

• Reply muffincatblog June 9, 2016 at 9:54 pm

It’s also a sign of how toxic your body is. When I eat organic and drink a lot of water, I can still get the funk but nowhere near as quick and nasty as when I led a less aware lifestyle.

• Reply Jeff Cann June 9, 2016 at 10:19 pm

I might say it *can* be a sign of how toxic my body is. I have a generally good diet although I do eat a fair amount of fatty red meat to fuel those runs without bonking. But I know of no one who drinks more water than I do. Burning protein as fuel just smells bad.

• Reply muffincatblog June 9, 2016 at 10:31 pm

LoL! Could be that! I don’t eat it so didn’t think of it. Regardless, I don’t generally enjoy body /odor/ regardless of pungency level. I love my north coast deodorant and won’t leave home without it.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 10, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I dont think that she had been to the gym.. But i understood what you mean. Thank you for your opinion 🙂

• Reply Accidentally Single June 9, 2016 at 10:00 pm

This is interesting. A few questions ran through my mind as I read this. “Does she have running water? Does she have an illness? Her house could be holding a smell that has now penetrated into her skin.” Are you thinking of a smell and well-being ordinance as there are noise ordinances in society?

• Reply Amitav Chowdhury June 10, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Wonderful topic. Well, first, our body is what we eat. We have to take care of our diet and flush out toxins by drinking adequate amount of water. Introducing lot of fibre rich foods, leafy vegetables, seasonal fruits, and less of dairy products will help. All said and done, not everyone is equally privileged and with scarce running water and lack of access to hygienic toilets can be a problem. It is best, we do not hurt the sentiment of that person and maybe convey the message subtly. But, if they are my close friends I do tell them to use a good deodorant or visit a doctor to get necessary tests done, as they can be indicators of some internal problem which needs treatment.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 10, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Totally agree with you! Thank you so much for stoping by!

• Reply rugby843 October 11, 2016 at 12:10 am

Okay, I’m not saying people in TX smell bad, but have you ever been in line behind someone who’s tired, on their way home, asked to pick up something at the last minute? This person has worked in hot humid weather tarting a roof all day, just wants to get home for a cool shower when asked to stop by the store. It may not be his choice, but an obligation. Maybe the older woman could not smell anything. Years of smoking can do that. Or maybe she just doesn’t care. You are a beautiful young woman and I doubt people observing you would care if you smelled or not! I’m just saying, there may be a valid reason. We can hope!😖😄

• Reply alvarezgalloso October 11, 2016 at 1:03 am

Personal hygiene including smelling good is great. Lack of personal hygiene with smells can lead to fungus or germs eating at human tissue. Thats why personal hygiene is important

• Reply Anne J. October 11, 2016 at 1:06 am

We had the same problem at work a couple of weeks ago when 2 workers arrived to work on the blinds bit one was really, really smelly. He made the whole big office stink so badly that I had to run away from my own office while they worked there. I had to open all windows and even the main door at reception. It was so bad though that I couldn’t just leave it so I called the property manager to call the supplier and make a plan, have an excuse, and pull out their workers. Same thing, we thought we’d vomit. And I didn’t want to be rude to their faces that’s why I had to call our landlord’s property manager to call the bosses of these 2 smelly workers who were also looking disheveled and dirty. This was morning so I don’t think they had been working elsewhere. For us, it was just unprofessional. Coincidentally, they came back yesterday to complete the work that they left unfinished. There was no smell anymore.

• Reply Tony Burgess October 11, 2016 at 1:38 am

Hygiene is a way to tell others you respect them and that you don’t want to offend with ones natural odor. If one works in a heavy manual labor situation then having a shower/bath twice a day is helpful.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 11, 2016 at 1:50 pm

I agree! When I lived in Brasil I used to have 3 shower because of the warm, but also because I was so afraid to smell hahaha..

• Reply Hygiene, Warning, graphic – The Bag Lady October 11, 2016 at 1:47 am

[…] Personal hygiene; a corporate social responsibility? […]

• Reply rugby843 October 11, 2016 at 5:47 am

I referenced your post to try to get back to my main purpose of writing here in the first place. Hope you don’t mind. Thanks for reminding me to stay focused.

• Reply Raj Krishna October 11, 2016 at 8:00 am

personal hygiene comes under behavioral science…and i think with better primary education, awareness, making it a habit might improve it..just a thought..

• Reply wps15 October 11, 2016 at 9:30 am

Nice !

• Reply Chiradeep October 11, 2016 at 9:59 am

What should I say???😂
    Is there anything called Nose Fresheners to avoid bad smells?😂
    Then we need to be fresh and clean… the funniest part is people try to hide their body odour by using deodorants but the mixture of scented deo & body odour is although more horrible…😂

Sorry for spreading unhygienic descriptions under your article on hygiene…

Regards, CP

• Reply LazyHaze October 11, 2016 at 10:50 pm

This is a concern sometimes…I think it just takes a little tolerance and may be a well placed suggestion on one side and being considerate on the other.
    Emphasis should be placed on hygiene in schools and at home.
    I don’t think it is a matter for the government. They have more pressing matters to deal with.