advice Blog Daily Prompts Society sosial media

Plagiarism is not okay

October 17, 2016

Today I have experienced something unpleasant on WordPress for the first time since I started to blog here. I want to be an inspiration for my for readers where they can get ideas and write their own posts. That is the advantage of having a network of bloggers that we can share ideas and inspire one another.

I am not trying to humiliate anyone here and this post is not written as a revenge but I still want to show this persons blog and her content compared to mine as a warning to people who have this kind of method as their blogging tactic. There are a thousand of bloggers that have a share party but everyone make their own text.

I had a good connection with this blogger and I could never imagine that she could do something like this. I have reported the incident and her post is about to be removed from WordPress and I am grateful to WordPress for taking things like this seriously. Plagiarism should not exist here on the platform and it is actually a criminal act at Universities. In Norway you would get suspended and thrown into jail for committing plagiarism. I can see that it is not that harsh here in the blogging world but I am glad to see that WordPress is taking action at least.

I have put my text along with her text below so that you can see for yourself. What do you think?

Urgent

Trust

Follow me on  Facebook and Instagram

• Reply Pupazzovi October 17, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Plagiarism happened..
    This thing happened aldo to Dora Buonfino the blogger of Almeno tu. Someone copied one of his post in full.This is an horriblke thing !!!m!

• Reply Anne J. October 17, 2016 at 10:40 pm

Awful and definitely not on. We should all probably think about copyrighting our works. I only do that with my poetry now but I guess even prose should be covered. Thanks for sharing this. I think we get complacent or we trust too much. Happy to know that WordPress is doing something about it.

• Reply Aishwarya October 17, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Plagiarism is never okay.
    Honesty I have borrowed blogging ideas from many a bloggers. I read blogs and feel like writing something on those lines or it evokes a feeling so strong that I want to let it flow through me uninhibited. But I guess giving credit to the person who came up with the idea is the least one can do! It doesn’t take too much courage to admit with humility that someone else was better than you in coming up with something…
    I’m glad WordPress is taking action.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 17, 2016 at 10:57 pm

When I write a poem of someone else on my blog I always write the author’s name because the work is not mine. As long as we give credit to who wrote the article I dont see any problem. I think we all get inspired from other blogs but we can’t take others work and claim that it is ours.

• Reply Aishwarya October 18, 2016 at 1:00 pm

Well, that’s true! Like I said, reading other blogs really drives my inspiration at times. But it is only fair when I give due credit!

• Reply alvarezgalloso October 17, 2016 at 10:43 pm

I agree. I might consider copyright although my blog is registered with the US Copyright and the CIPO (Canadian Intellectual Property Office). But do I copyright every article or the majority or do I copyright the whole blog?

• Reply David K October 17, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Well that’s not acceptable. It would have been different if you’d been credited. What’s particularly annoying is that your posts are always refreshing and altruistic. I love the way you always strive to help other and take a genuine interest, so I can imagine this must hurt.

• Reply gumusdis.com October 17, 2016 at 11:52 pm

• Reply gary loggins October 17, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Definitely not acceptable. I put a lot of effort into my blog posts, as I know you do too, Roberta. I would be very angry indeed if I

• Reply gary loggins October 17, 2016 at 11:55 pm

…saw someone copy my work almost word for word!

• Reply frenchc1955 October 18, 2016 at 12:22 am

I agree with your that plagiarism is never acceptable. I teach English Literature at the college and university level in the United States of America, and I take plagiarism very seriously in my classes.

• Reply RhapsodyBoheme October 18, 2016 at 12:41 am

😔 sorry this happened to you

• Reply Chiradeep October 18, 2016 at 12:42 am

When a system like pingback and trackback back are available in WordPress then What’s the problem in giving someone a credit who’s write up you liked? I quoted many and they turn back to say thank you for using their names…

Plagiarism is bad and should be avoided. Thanks Roberta for bringing this issue.

• Reply Viral T. October 18, 2016 at 1:05 am

There is a huge difference between the Reblogging widget and plagiarism. Some people just don’t get it. As a new blogger some might think its ok to use other people’s work but we’re living in the 21st Century. No room for clueless question mark for the differentiation explanation.

• Reply Covert Novelist October 18, 2016 at 1:06 am

I saw the post and thought it was yours or connected with yours.

• Reply Covert Novelist October 18, 2016 at 1:07 am

I even tried to sign up for it argh im annoyed

• Reply Ieva Kambarovaite October 18, 2016 at 1:19 am

You know you’re doing something right when others start copying you 🙂 take it as a compliment, dear Roberta 😉 sorry, I know plagiarism is a nasty thing

• Reply Author Interview – Patty Fletcher – Campbell’s Rambles: How a Seeing Eye Dog Retrieved My Life | toofulltowrite (I've started so I'll finish) October 18, 2016 at 1:50 am

[…] Fire! – April’s Perspective 2. Roberta Pimentel – Plagiarism is not okay 3. Angelic Hands – Trust 4. my forever – my sweetpainteddreams 5. German Audiobooks – […]

• Reply writteningeek October 18, 2016 at 2:30 am

I’m sorry that this happened to you but glad that you found out. Nothing is gained by taking someone else’s work. I have made some lovely connections with people simply because I asked to share their work. Thanks for sharing this.

• Reply sheldonk2014 October 18, 2016 at 3:20 am

Funny how th I vs work
    I was thinking about this very thing today
    As always Sheldon

• Reply consciousoftheheart October 18, 2016 at 4:07 am

Plagiarism is not allowed anywhere, no matter what platform it is; especially when credit is not given to the creator of thought or comments. That is learned in throughout secondary and higher education.

• Reply Simply-Me October 18, 2016 at 4:08 am

That’s truly sad. I don’t like it when people plagiarise, it’s unethical and unfair to steal someone else’s hard word.

• Reply Simply-Me October 18, 2016 at 4:09 am

Work*

• Reply parijat shukla October 18, 2016 at 6:00 am

This is very unfair and should be avoided.

• Reply depatridge October 18, 2016 at 8:55 am

Reblogged this on Matthews' Blog and commented:
    Plagiarism is bad and offensive.

• Reply Miss B Blogz Thingz Over.. October 18, 2016 at 9:35 am

Hey Dear!

It’s not great enthol! Very sad that people do this kind off things! I’m so glad that you contact WordPress! And glad that WordPress did something about it!

Hugz & Kisses Miss B.💋💋

• Reply sasha October 18, 2016 at 10:03 am

Sorry for what happened to you. When i reblog some of the others post ,i definitely mention their names at the starting line and i write my own ..nmwe can get inspired and two of them might have same thoughts but not copy thoughts as this.I always thinks a lot about the posts i post and when someone copy the same conten,i would definitely get angry!

• Reply sasha October 18, 2016 at 10:04 am

One can *

• Reply breathingpark October 18, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Blogging is such a fertile way of expressing self and definitely plagiarism has no place in it….if you identify with some work take permission from the author and reblog it or if not give the credits to the author…you have done the right thing Roberta by exposing the blogger….it’s sinful..😕😕😕

• Reply Hans de Gans (MSW) October 19, 2016 at 1:12 pm

What a bad experience. If you want to take someones work, just ask him to reblog the post or to share the work with the authors name… Like you always do. Maybe this persons blog is ‘entirely borrowed’ ftom others…
    It is a kind of nasty compliment…

• Reply AlanMiller October 19, 2016 at 1:36 pm