Blog Life Society

Things I regret

October 17, 2016

When I was younger I did not think about the consequences of my choices and I was never afraid to take risks in my life. Back then I did not want to listen to anyone and I thought that I knew everything and I always walked my own way in life. I must admit that I was not the easiest person to understand and when I look at how I was at that time from today’s perspective I must say that I was a complicated person and I thought that the whole world was going against me. However, the truth was that I actually was going against myself.

When you are a child the most important thing is that you have stability around you and that you feel that someones cares for you. Things that happen to you in your childhood will affect you later in life which can lead to wrong decisions that will have consequences maybe for the rest of your life because the choices that you make hurt you while you think you are doing it to hurt the ones that you feel have done wrong to you.

I regret the way I treated the ones that I love the most and the words that I said to them. I was doing this because I was screaming for attention and I did not know how to ask for it. Instead I thought that my actions would draw their attention towards me. I had a tendency to make people going against me since my behaviour was not right and people were distancing themselves from me. I guess I also struggled since I lacked a dad when I grew up. He passed away when I was a little child. I was jealous at my cousins since they had a dad and when I saw the love that their father were giving to them it was difficult for me to accept it. In order to get attention I behaved very strange.

Looking back at my life I can easily understand why I liked to be around boys because there was a role in my life that was missing. I regret that I have hurt the ones that I love the most but I understand today how important the role of the adults and parents in a child’s life is. It is not good for the child to see the parents arguing and screaming to one another and if the children do something wrong it is not correct to scream to them and hit them. This is not the right method for raising a child.

I also regret that I did not focus on education when I was younger. I did not want to listen to my mom and grandmother when they told me that I should go to school. However, I have taken some education after I came to Norway but I regret that I did not start when I was younger. Education is a really important aspect of developing and I think that it slowed down my development when I was younger. I studied economics but I found out that economics was not right for me. I think that I am a person that suits better in health jobs and I don’t think that there is a time in life when it is too late for taking education. We learn as long as we live.

The message in this post is that the parents should take really good care of the children since they are the future not only of the family but also for the entire country. The actions of the parents can leave marks in their children that make them do wrong things as a consequence of it. However, I think that everything that has happened to me in the past has shaped me to the person that I am today and I believe that I can use some of my experiences in order to help others. I see how important the role of the parents is though and I think that parents should think twice before they scream or hit their children. A child should never fear their parents rather respect them. That is two very different things.

Follow me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Roberta-Pimentel-122081677873993/

• Reply Simon August 22, 2016 at 9:55 pm

Humbling… Many of us can take something from this. ☺

• Reply jlfatgcs August 22, 2016 at 10:06 pm

You are so right, and very wise to see all of this. The best part is that you are paying it forward, by writing and telling others the importance of education and of listening to parents and family. We CAN change and make a difference. You did! -Jennie-

• Reply leleharris August 22, 2016 at 10:49 pm

Beautiful post!
    Very motivated at the moment. I never give up on the things I love to do. I just know to how to live and to strive to do my best at everything I am able to do.
    Great topic and wonderful spoken words!!

• Reply Southern by Design August 22, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Beautifully stated and much truth.

• Reply Benn Bell August 22, 2016 at 11:52 pm

Regrets I’ve had a few

• Reply Tony Single August 23, 2016 at 12:27 am

I couldn’t have put it better. I recognise a lot of myself in what you’ve written here.

• Reply Rajiv August 23, 2016 at 3:45 pm

I think most of us regret not focussing on education in school

• Reply okotoenigma September 25, 2016 at 1:09 am

Beautifully written. And so true. I can definitely say I’ve learnt something from your experience.

• Reply okotoenigma September 25, 2016 at 1:20 am

Why are my comments never visible?

• Reply myowncalcuttablog.com September 25, 2016 at 1:24 am

Wow. A lot of soul- searching went into the truths you posted. It sounds like you’ve had a difficult time growing up. But, look at the person you are now. You’re helping so many with sharing their blogs and offering support. You are one amazing person and don’t ever forget it!

• Reply okotoenigma September 25, 2016 at 1:27 am

Hey Roberta.
    I have a prpblem; whenever I comment on your post, it never shows; yesterday, I left 3 comments on your post; with one asking why my comments never show. And I just left a comment on a post you published 7 minutes ago; still nothing I don’t know if it’s a problem from my side, if my comments are in your spam comments, or if you don’t approve of them. But can you please check? My comment needs to be visible like everyone else’s.
    Thank you.

• Reply aguilarkristinegayle September 25, 2016 at 4:13 am

I feel the same way too ☹ I really had a difficult time growing up and I don’t have conventional relationship with my mom since my dad left us to work abroad but didn’t come back. Until now I’m suffering from my past. A lot of things run into my head and I understand why is this all happening. Why I always feel unworthy.

• Reply aguilarkristinegayle September 25, 2016 at 4:14 am

*I don’t understand why is this all happening.

• Reply bingskee September 25, 2016 at 10:48 am

you are courageous for being honest. a lot of things affect our well-being especially while we’re growing up. there is actually no formula. it depends always on how an individual reads the meaning of what’s happening around and the influences of those that surround him/her. i always look at children as sponges that absorb almost everything around them.

it’s a good thing though that on your part, the realization sets in, and you must hold on to it. what is important is there is still time to make up for the lost, and schooling is one good thing to start. 🙂

cheers to you!

• Reply Cosas que lamento – apserranoblog September 25, 2016 at 11:21 am

[…] Origen: cosas que lamento […]

• Reply inceptionmindcom October 17, 2016 at 4:09 pm

Never regret on any decision you have taken in your life. Atleast you have the mind to take decision. whether its going to be correct or not its a future thing. However it the decision seems to be faulty it can be corrected by a modification which you can always do….

• Reply Vivek Vatsal1 October 17, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Beautifully expressed!!☺👍 Take a bow🙌

• Reply Vincenzo October 17, 2016 at 5:39 pm

Hello, the past is past, and if we have learned from our mistakes, not repeat them and we try to educate children not to fall into the same, by your words and what I can gather from your post did you do that you have two beautiful girls and are sure, I read it from their eyes in photographs are an excellent pedagogue and a nice person. a hug to the whole family were good!

• Reply Nancy J October 17, 2016 at 8:29 pm

That’s the beauty of our past. We can apply our lessons and grow. Parenting and childhood, at best, are always experimental. I mean I never know what I did right or wrong until my adult children let me know. Funny, though, how history tends to repeat itself. They are much like me.

• Reply shewrites170 October 18, 2016 at 1:06 am

I regret exhausting myself, in seeking acceptance in a totally unacceptable set up.

• Reply woodcanvasartist October 22, 2016 at 3:11 pm

There is something to be said about aging. It took me a long time to grow up and I’m 58. I can’t fix yesterday, but I have today and tomorrow is still a mystery. So, with today your post lets me reflect, but for not to long. Aging has a calming effect for me. I embrace it, and I look forward to tomorrow, but for not to long. I must relish today. Thank you for this post. I think by accident I just created a quote in here…lol. Kevin

• Reply Chiradeep October 24, 2016 at 2:54 pm

THANKS Roberta for sharing your heart. Our life teaches. If we don’t learn easily life teaches in hard ways.

We had a week discussing on “Our Regrets” in Candles Online few months ago.

• Reply Chiradeep October 24, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Wish you would have written it earlier then I could have included this as well. 😞

• Reply Riddhi Sharma October 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm