advice Blog Life Society

Fake it until you make it… Or is there another way out?

October 26, 2016
We live in a world where the society demands a whole heck of things from us and we are trying to keep up with it and making ourselves slaves to these demands. Growing up in today’s world is not easy where failing and succeeding is decided on margins. Succeeding in today’s society means having it all every thing from a nice house, successful job career, family and making your life appear too good to ever fail.
“Everyone” is looking for the perfect life and “everyone” wants to show that they have it. I feel that the biggest sign of success is putting on a big fake smile and looking extremely happy where you get everything done throughout the day and not looking tired at all. If someone asks you how you feel you say GREAT since you would never dare to tell someone your true feelings in fear of appearing weak. You want to look strong even for your closest friends and family since you should not bother anyone else with your challenges and then it is better to shape up and fake it until you make it.
Have you ever wanted to say “Hey, I want to get off this rollercoaster”? What happened to just being normal and why are there so many trying to appear extraodinary?

I believe that the best things to collect in life is not money but rather moments and you will never be able to collect them if your life is too busy in the hunt for success and fame on the social media.
The everyday chaos is making us forgetting our partners, friends and family. I cry inside when I see people sitting on their mobiles together with their friends and taking selfies of themselves instead of having good conversations because they have to show the world just how happy and beautiful they are today.
I think it is a shame if the demands of the society are making us unsocial human beings and a generation where social anxiety is becoming more and more common since there is a tendency that people do not interact with people anymore. I think that it is a shame if we are not able to share our inner feelings not even with our partners because we don’t want to bother them or don’t dare to show them how we really feel. People are rather going to their therapist rather than telling their partner how they feel. What is the point of being in a relationship if you cannot share both the joys and the frustration with the one you love?
img_3775
I think that parts of the answer to the questions and topics that I have been bringing up lies in the fear of appearing weak in front of others. Being vulnerable means that you cannot meat the demands and that makes you a failure on the thin line between failing and succeeding. I think that it is fantastic to have aspirations and pursing dreams but don’t do it to just to be accepted in the society. All the money and fame in the world is meaningless if you are not happy on the inside. We have seen actors appearing so happy and successful but they prove us wrong by ending their lives.
The greatest assets in a persons life is memories collected and the people that you are collecting the memories with. I believe that the celebrities that were in the difficult situations that ended in suicide could have benefitted from having a real friend to talk with. Life can be so great but it can also be over in a blink of an eye so my encouragement to you guys is that we build our lives on the right values.
It is extremely important to be present and turn off your mobile in order to spend quality time with the ones you love. Give them your attention and build on the relationships. My boyfriend supports me and encourages me to keep on doing what I am doing since he knows that it makes me happy. I therefor try to support him as much as possible with his things even though we are a bit different in the aspect that he would never want to be a blogger or a celebrity as I dream of haha.
Written by Roberta Pimentel and Johan Larsen

No Comments

• Reply alvarezgalloso October 26, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Great article that deals with a sad reality. We have a lot of it in America.

• Reply cthroughmyeyessite October 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm

This is the reality of life …we all are faking it

• Reply shewrites170 October 26, 2016 at 6:28 pm

Selfies, happy times, celebrations, chirpy blabber sells, people buy it happily. About your concerns, it needs to be addressed at the right windows and if you mention your concern in highlighted form in a calm way but it repeatedly fell on deaf ears. And it happens at many windows, which would actually guide and not just sympathise or get entertainment out of gossips then there’s no point in knocking and over a period of time you get knocked out by continuous struggle to put up with negativity.
    Sometimes it’s better to stop knocking and pushing walls to make space for more shit.
    All those unaddressed emotions, eat up body like an acid. When you are on the verge of losing it all and you knock again and are taken to therapist because it’s a busy world out there.
    Then why to fake it for people who want to chase cars.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 26, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Oh I would love to understand everything you just wrote but I don’t understand expressions and so on. English is not my mother tongue and therefor some expressions can be hard to understand. Do you mind explain it for me? Thanks for your contribution though.

• Reply Strikedbyepicness October 26, 2016 at 6:54 pm

Great post which deals with a lot of things that concern people. Some people are happy living their life trying to impress people, but what they don’t know is that every time you do that you are losing a piece of yourself. We don’t need the world to tell us that we are happy, we need to feel happy on the inside. Lovely writing 🙂

• Reply shewrites170 October 26, 2016 at 6:58 pm

When life’s a party, everyone would be happily party to it. But when life gets tough and you share your worries with people who you trust and they tell you to be strong and handle it wisely. You stay strong but crash over a period of time and it’s a busy life and therapist are more equipped in handling crisis. Sometimes a hug and being there for someone works better than the expertise of a therapist but then chasing cars and ticking the wish list is always more important. Giving consultation to businesses is easier than feeling someone’s pain and holding them when they crash. I can’t simplify it any further.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 26, 2016 at 7:37 pm

I understood what you meant. Thanks for your feedback. Life can be complicated sometimes….

• Reply gruundehn October 26, 2016 at 7:50 pm

I am a Baby Boomer and it was the same when I was growing up. The Baby Boomer / Hippie revolt was never a revolt but a new way of doing the same thing. Indeed, my generation is more narrow minded and conformist than our parents ever were, we just use different labels to hide this. Keeping up with the Joneses is alive and well and generations old. Maybe this is a result of the Great Depression, I don’t know, but I do know that it is nothing new.

• Reply Fake it until you make it… Or is there another way out? – Running to Zen October 26, 2016 at 9:12 pm

[…] Source: Fake it until you make it… Or is there another way out? […]

• Reply amileinmyshoes October 26, 2016 at 9:17 pm

This is so true, I often see people spend more time on their technology than their family and friends 🙁

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 26, 2016 at 9:25 pm

I feel bad sometimes because I use a lot time on social media but that is something I want to work on, so I just need to find a balance and turn off from all social media when I’m with my love ones. Not easy sometimes but I have manage so far 🙂

• Reply amileinmyshoes October 26, 2016 at 9:43 pm

I’m not great either, although I’ve replaced Facebook with WordPress! At least you are trying 🙂 I wrote a poem called ‘look away’ a while ago – it’s not great (I don’t mind if you delete this comment)but I was trying to say what you’re saying also.

• Reply College Mate October 26, 2016 at 9:29 pm

Fake it til you make it is one of the worst ideologies to permeate millennial lives.

• Reply Libby Sommer October 26, 2016 at 10:06 pm

an interesting post. well done.

• Reply Lily Von Valley October 27, 2016 at 2:59 pm

the matter of being normal is far removed from our real lives, no matter how much one wants to normalise it normality has already been pushed back, if not twisted…. You are so right about much of what you say…but society is come to be totally inverted and norms are now relative to which levels of society and the kind of social existence one has…. Can one be normal by themselves? I look at the youth and they indicate how endemic this is.