Blog

Treat others as you would want them to treat you

April 18, 2017

Mankind tends to try to achieve what is best for themselves. We often think «what is in it for me?» In economic theory, we have the concept of maximizing our own utility and trying to get the most out of every situation and choice we are in front of.

There is nothing wrong in trying to achieve things in life and I think that everyone should try to get the most of their talents. The problem is when the maximization of «ME» is hurting the person next to us. When greed is set above values and so on. In situations like that we tend to forget about the other persons in our surroundings and it is easy to hurt people on our way to the maximization of ourselves.

I believe that it is possible to become successful and think about others well-being at the same time. I am a firm believer in karma and think that as you sow you will harvest. If you are an egoistic person only thinking about yourself you might succeed for a while but eventually, it will come back to you in some way. What I am trying to say is that if you treat people nice then people will treat you nice as well and you are not in risk of getting backstabbed by these people when you might need them. Don’t think that despite being at the top of your life that you will never need someone to support you. That can be everything from having someone to talk to or get recommendations for a job you are applying for. Respect needs to be earned and you must understand others in order to be understood. When you spread love to the people around you then people will start to care for you as well.

The message of this post is that we should always treat people in the way that we want to be treated. The golden rule in life and it actually works. You might think that it is stressful going around and think about others all the time but you will gain in the long run. You don’t need to be religious in order to believe in my message. Everyone should care for the person around them and the world will become a much better place if we can succeed by helping others to succeed as well. So I want to re-phrase the question, in the beginning, to «what’s in me for you?»

What are your thoughts on this topic?

Follow me on  Facebook and Instagram

• Reply Aki June 7, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Completely agree with you!! We must treat others like we wanted to be treated. Many time we just forget and start hurting others which we shouldn’t do

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 7, 2016 at 5:04 pm

True, it’s easy to forget sometimes!

• Reply Jeff Mackey June 7, 2016 at 1:02 pm

I agree. I have seen people from 5 – 75 have that phrase lost on them. Things would be so much better in the world if they did.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 7, 2016 at 5:08 pm

I agree. I hope that people start to understand how important the phrase is. Glad that you liked my message.
      Have a nice day!

• Reply Mrudula June 7, 2016 at 1:09 pm

I’m totally with you on this!!
    Thinking about ourselves can be rewarding sometimes..but it is always short termed.. Bringing together everyone in your thoughts will multiply your happiness always..

• Reply Amitav Chowdhury June 7, 2016 at 2:41 pm

We live in an interconnected world in terms of consciousness, we cannot deny that. ‘I’ is a part of the greater ‘We’. So, I cannot stay in complete seclusion. My actions (karma) will affect few or many, and in turn, the consequences will be mine completely. If we want positive consequences we ought to be respecting and positive towards ‘we’. One can spiritually become wealthy by having positive thoughts towards life on this planet.

You have written a wonderful article and thank you for reminding us all with this positive message.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 7, 2016 at 5:30 pm

Thank you! I’m so glad that you liked my message.
      Thanks for stoping by 🙂
      Have a great day!

• Reply Jessi June 7, 2016 at 2:51 pm

Of course! The golden rule is the ideal way to live. Now we just have to figure out how to practice it consistently and ignore human nature’s inherent drive to put the “me” at the forefront. That is the question: how do we turn a “me” consciousness into a “we consciousness?

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 7, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Totally agreeing with what you just wrote. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about my post!
      Have a good day!

• Reply Jeff Cann June 7, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I once drunkenly argued (for way too long) that there are no selfless acts. Everything is done to get ahead. I don’t fully believe this any more, but I do think most of our positive actions are at least partially driven by reward. When I pick up a piece of litter on the street, I feel good about myself. That is reward.

Regardless, reward isn’t harmful if it is beneficial or neutral to others. My mantra now is: do no harm, do good when I can.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 7, 2016 at 5:27 pm

I agree with your mantra. I also think that behind doing good things there is a kind of reward driven incentive for doing so. But as you write it do not harm others. And thanks for stoping by!
      Have a great day!

• Reply theSpiritualGangster June 7, 2016 at 9:55 pm

100% agree with your message.
    Everybody should be treated with the utmost respect and dignity!

• Reply pavithrah June 8, 2016 at 12:12 am

Very true! I agree with you.
    I love your inspiring content. 🙂

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 7, 2016 at 1:28 pm

Thank you sweet! I’m happy that you liked 🙂
      Cheers!

• Reply bharathb22 June 8, 2016 at 4:09 pm

People like you are making me believe that to find inspiration, I don’t have to go anywhere else. Because, everything can be found here on WordPress!

• Reply Eric W. June 9, 2016 at 1:11 am

I completely agreed with you. What often happens is that, people are not willing to be the first one to do good. We often ask them why it has to be me start the karma first. And they do not realize that our bad karma may be started while we are doing nothing.

• Reply crobinson1996 June 10, 2016 at 5:25 pm

This is so true! I think often times we forget that we MUST treat others the way we wish to be treated. You never know what kind of day someone could be having! Great content 🙂

• Reply rfdumais June 12, 2016 at 12:37 am

Great blog! I’m glad you enjoyed reading my blog this week. I hope you continue to find it interesting. I signed up to follow your blog.

From Ena (Pretty, Plus and Proud)

• Reply dazzlerplus June 14, 2016 at 1:45 am

Well said, Roberta! And thank you for visiting my blog.

• Reply Billy June 15, 2016 at 1:56 am

I agree on your post, people should stick together and help each other.
    Working for personal gain gets you nowhere.
    You can have all the best of the world, yet no one to share with.

I live by my heart, to help people in need and I ask for nothing in return.
    If I do, it would be asking the people I helped to do the same for others.
    This is the way I try to spread the love around this world 🙂

• Reply Karina Pinella June 15, 2016 at 2:12 am

Or, simply remember the words “common courtesy.”

• Reply r_prab June 16, 2016 at 12:47 am

Nice post! You know some days back a blogger friend had posted that being good to people gives us a great amount of happiness. ‘So be selfish and aspire for that happiness’ I was smiling when I read that. I also remember a quote by Mother Teresa ‘They might be unkind, be kind anyways. They might be ungrateful, be grateful anyways.It is always between you and the God.It is never between you and them’ I too believe in the karma and I think anyway we look at it, the

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 16, 2016 at 1:01 am

Mother Teresa is a role model for me! I love to be able to mean something in others life and not thinking that I’m the centrum for everything. I’m glad that you liked my post

• Reply r_prab June 16, 2016 at 12:49 am

essence is the same. Thank you for sharing this 🙂

• Reply Anon Rand June 22, 2016 at 9:56 am

Yeah, I agree. It’s common sense. It should be. Some people will try to take advantage of it, but I think they usually end up feeling the emptiness of life in the end. Oh well, lol. Keep up the positivism!

• Reply leggypeggy June 22, 2016 at 11:18 am

It really is this simple. Don’t know why people can’t figure that out.

• Reply Vaibhav June 25, 2016 at 7:28 am

Beautifully expressed Roberta. Wish you’d still be in Brazil. I’ve always wanted to visit that country!

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 12:36 pm

Thank you! I still travel there sometimes:-)
      If visit Brasil I’m sure you would love it 😊
      Thanks for stopping by!

• Reply thejouskablog June 25, 2016 at 6:47 pm

Inspiring post! 🙂

• Reply Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 10:37 pm

Reblogged this on Still Another Writer's Blog.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 10:39 pm

Thank you for including my article on your blog I do appreciate 🙂

• Reply Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 10:42 pm

You are welcome. Is that a picture of you?

• Reply Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 10:43 pm

On my profile?

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 10:43 pm

On the reblog. (Maybe I should look at your profile.)

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Yeah, it’s me on the pict. but i straight my hair. But i just cut my hair for a few weeks a go 🙂

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 10:56 pm

I was just going to say this: you are very pretty. (Take many pictures and have someone with good skills take the pictures also. Eventually it goes away, so capture what you can while you can.)

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Appreciate you feedback hehe 🙂
            What time it’s in Dallas now? in Norway it’s 23:00

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 11:11 pm

1600 CDT here. I would love to visit Scandanavia. (Maybe even take (or teach) a course over the summer.)

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 11:11 pm

What type of course?

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Social sciences or Business, most likely. But I am open to exploring other alternatives (photography, creative writing).

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 11:14 pm

Nice! You should try 🙂

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 11:21 pm

I think so, also. If I could “sufficiently” monetize the blog(s), then I would do it. The top two places are (1) Scandanavia (not sure what part; could be multiple visits); and (2) Australia (again, not sure which coast, could be multiple visits). If you decide to come to DFW, let me know! 🙂

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Blog require patience, but sometimes you can get luck as well 🙂 Just keep written and your blog will grow! I let you know if I’m going to Dallas 😀

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 11:29 pm

My blog is growing well (but, , now I am looking for ways to monetize it).

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 11:29 pm

What mean “monetize”?

• Grandtrines June 25, 2016 at 11:37 pm

Be paid for my work. Be able to (at least) make a living from it (instead of being required to do other work).

• Roberta Pimentel June 25, 2016 at 11:44 pm

Aha, I see. Sorry for my bad English still learning 🙂 I understand why you mean. To only have a blog as a job is not so easy but it’s not impossible. I also want that, but I’m very new and for now is just a hobby. In Norway it’s crazy how bloggers make so much money hehe

• Grandtrines June 26, 2016 at 5:29 am

How do they do that?

• Roberta Pimentel June 26, 2016 at 12:49 pm

In Norway there is a newspaper that controls who should be on the top list. Most of the bloggers on the top list are celebrities. That was the reason for why I moved to WordPress. I think the platform is more fair and thereby easier to succeed. 😊

• Grandtrines June 26, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I completely agree with your ideas about fairness. That is what I like about WP also. I suspect that targeted advertising is necessary to make money, and the best way is probably using KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing).

• Reply Carolyn Page June 26, 2016 at 1:23 am

Well said, Roberta; it does come back to you, indeed.
    And as you’ve said; we benefit by our own uplifted feelings…
    It’s a win/win situation for all of us… 🙂

• Reply Carl D'Agostino June 28, 2016 at 9:59 pm

Great post. Simple but so vastly wise. My religion has come down to just two things now: Never be the cause of anyone’s misfortune and never pass up an opportunity to perform a charitable act. Thanks visit my blog.

• Reply Tiasa Banerjee July 1, 2016 at 1:40 pm

A lesson learned hard. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply AnnaLevensonPsy July 5, 2016 at 12:15 am

Just had this convo with my 11 yo! True!

• Reply Steven Reuter July 5, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I really enjoyed this! Thank you for writing it. I have found it interesting, however, that the Golden Rule focuses on ourselves and then others (i.e. in order to treat others well, we first must think about ourselves and how we want others to treat us). It’s like how the many laws of rituals focus on maintaining the most basic form of goodness. I feel that the rule would be even more golden if, instead, it was stated “do to others, as they would wish to have done to themselves.” Solely focusing on the other individual! I actually wrote a post on this!

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I agree with you! Thank you for reading and I’m sorry for the late answer..

• Reply craiglock July 7, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Reblogged this on Tolerance and Respect.

• Reply Yasmine Yockell July 11, 2016 at 10:28 am

When someone treat you well, you feel so good. So i agree with your text to do the same back!

• Reply Nancy J July 12, 2016 at 5:40 am

A friend and I were having a discussion about this today. Totally agree with you.

• Reply Rob Alberts July 13, 2016 at 8:31 am

We should always treat people in the way that we want to be treated.

Yes, I agree on this.

Kind regards,

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Thank you for reading and i’m sorry for the late answer..

• Reply Bette A. Stevens July 14, 2016 at 2:52 am

Agreed–kindness counts!

• Reply thelonelyauthorblog July 14, 2016 at 1:48 pm

I am from New York City, where it is dog eat dog and I agree with your thoughts. One can achieve success while being a kind and caring person. We don’t have to be heartless to find success and happiness. In fact, true happiness comes from kindness, generosity, and forgiveness. Good post.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I completely agree with you! Thank you for reading!
      Sorry for the late answer..

• Reply Treat others as you would want them to treat you – Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 2:02 pm

[…] Source: Treat others as you would want them to treat you […]

• Reply alvarezgalloso July 21, 2016 at 2:49 pm

I agree with you. The world is filled with what happens when you treat others. Either good or bad returns depending on what happens. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Lydia July 21, 2016 at 3:04 pm

Sitting Ovation!!!! Bravo! Bravo! I feel the same way. Selflessness makes for good karma and positive energy. My mantra is…. “It’s better to give than to receive”. Love this post!!!!

• Reply Lydia July 21, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Reblogged this on Live…Love…Share!!! and commented:
    How do you treat people? A beautiful post from Robert Pimentel helps us to remember the golden rule in life. Much needed post for the world right now. Like and leave a comment!!!

• Reply gruundehn July 21, 2016 at 3:26 pm

As a general rule – yes, this is a way to go. However, in details it might fail. For example: I would not treat a murderer the way that I would want that murderer to treat me. I will treat that murderer in such a way so that that murderer is no longer a threat to others. Always remember that you are not the benchmark for the conduct of other people and you should accept that others will not follow your ethos.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 4:28 pm

I get your point of view. However, a murderer is not born one and there might be a cause and effect there. If you treat everyone well even murderers then you might prevent it from happen again. The probability that a murderer commits a crime ones again rises by excluding him/her from the society.

• Reply gruundehn July 21, 2016 at 7:42 pm

I forget the exact numbers so these are estimates that are close. A murderer will, on average, kill three times before being suspected and eleven times before being convicted. Since a huge percentage of all murders are a single instance of, say, murder-suicide or partner murder, this means that your average serial killer, say a contract killer, will have huge numbers. And there ae people born with a empathy so low that killing someone and littering is the same to them.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I get the numbers. However there are different ways of how the culture believe one should treat them. In Norway and many other countries in Europe we believe in treatment as the best way of recovering people with a crime record. I just don’t think that excluding a person from the society will make him recover. But off course dangerous people should not walk freely in the society but rather being locked in an institution until it is safe to let them to the society. In the prisons in Norway we give them education etc. That might be a good way in order to help them back to the society again.

• Reply gruundehn July 21, 2016 at 9:44 pm

You missed a significant point. I did not say imprison or kill but make sure that the person is no longer a threat to others. If that does, indeed, mean kill, I will do it. If rehabilitation works, go for it. But are you willing to accept your part if someone kills after rehabilitation?

• Reply Barron July 21, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Beautiful post. I try to follow this philosophy as well. But I think Gruundehn has a point as well in that all people are different.

Maybe when we get to know people personally, we can take it a step further into the realm of empathy, and we can have another golden rule; “Treat others as they would like to be treated”, or “Treat others in a way that makes their lives better”.

• Reply Rick Amitin July 21, 2016 at 5:16 pm

What many people fail to realize is whatever you do to someone else you are doing to yourself. I’ve learned that why people do what they do is more important than what they do. You can only treat others the way you treat yourself. The way you treat other people tells the story of how you’re feeling about you. Great conversation, Belle.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Thank you for reading and I’m glad that you liked!

• Reply Rick Amitin July 21, 2016 at 5:26 pm

I’m a bit older than you, Roberta, but I find it refreshing that we share common themes. Keep up the good work. I’ll be reading.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel July 21, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I’m not so young as you believe I’m hehe. I have read your blog and you have a very good blog. Thanks for stopping by and for connecting! Bless

• Reply flyingcolours603 July 21, 2016 at 6:11 pm

its hard to do but a great thought 🙂

• Reply kbeezyisviral July 21, 2016 at 7:27 pm

I’d rather commit a good deed for someone else before receiving something marvelous for myself. However, you cannot help others unless you’re willing to help yourself. Seeing somebody else triumph before me is completely fine. The law of attraction works in a concrete way, which brings you goodness if you disperse it to others. The beauty of this infinite universe we live in, and understand so little about.

• Reply Rick Amitin August 2, 2016 at 1:36 pm

I have not seen the question before, ‘what’s in me for you?’ Made me think. I like that very much. I would like to write about the question myself. Thank you, Roberta.

• Reply Rick Amitin August 2, 2016 at 1:41 pm

Reblogged this on Rick Amitin's Blog and commented:
    Posted by Roberta Pimentel. I appreciate her take on this subject

• Reply pawan35 August 11, 2016 at 10:48 pm

We get what we give…. So we need to send out what we want in….. Smile begets smile, anger begets anger….. But at times we are so much more focused on ourselves we forget all the real good deeds

• Reply Symphony E August 11, 2016 at 11:48 pm

Yeah, we mist often think about ourselves. well said Roberta, by the way I nominated you for the wisteria writer’s challenge

• Reply alvarezgalloso August 12, 2016 at 1:17 am

I agree with you Roberta especially in todays world. In order to achieve world peace we need to have it within ourselves.

• Reply Robert Paulson August 12, 2016 at 2:51 am

This sounds all flowery and great in theory, but most people ignore the simple fact that a majority of the successful and wealthy people have gotten there by shitting on the next person.

Karma is a great idea to hold onto if you want to sit idly by and watch conscienceless, capitalistic opportunists who could give a rats ass about your ideals, rape the land, the women, the children, and even the men of all the glory in life.

I say treat others how they deserve to be treated. This requires seeing with your two eyes, not with your ideals-addicted mind’s eye.

• Reply johncoyote August 12, 2016 at 4:01 am

I agree Roberta. ” When you spread love to the people around you then people will start to care for you as well.”
    Karma is a fair judge. You receive back what you served to other people.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 15, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Completely agree! I do believe in karma..

• Reply johncoyote August 15, 2016 at 11:01 pm

Karma had gave me the bad rewards often. I walk gentle now.

• Reply Vincenzo August 12, 2016 at 10:03 pm

The careerism using the back of others to achieve their own advantage, as you said so well, in the end, life presents you the right account. Live for themselves do not need to grow personally, we are a full I only sharing with others our Se. Many do not realize it, and aided by the prevailing culture continue to pursue squalid studded streets of “things” and how many children they always find a new game, while other people are just tools to satiate the endless of having phobia. What matters is only what you love, there can be bad times but in the end it’s worth it. Hello, it’s always a pleasure to read your articles I load of positivity.

• Reply sassycatk August 22, 2016 at 12:09 pm

Agreed. Treat people the way to want to be treated – Even when others are rude – which is sometimes difficult to do, but very important!
    Also, I want to add that I love your hat!!

• Reply parijat shukla August 22, 2016 at 1:25 pm

Really Good to read 🙂

• Reply Katie's Time Travelling Kitchen August 22, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Such a good message, I totally agree!

• Reply Roberta Pimentel September 20, 2016 at 9:05 pm

Reblogged this on Roberta Pimentel.

• Reply inceptionmindcom September 21, 2016 at 2:02 am

Hi Roberta. I have a different opinion regarding this. You can always treat nice people with your nice behavior agree. But don’t expect them to be the same when you need them. This will give rise to expectation and further disappointment. Secondly I don’t think this is applicable to professional surroundings as there is always a rat race rather then a cow gathering

• Reply Tony Burgess September 20, 2016 at 9:10 pm

Kindness, humility and silliness are good rules of thumb.

• Reply settleinelpaso September 20, 2016 at 9:54 pm

The feeling is 100% mutual. Thanks for the post!

• Reply parangano September 21, 2016 at 8:12 am

At the back of my mind, yes this is true. But as one of your readers commented as well, being kind to other expecting the same kind of, errr, kindness back would just be disappointing. I do believe in the goodness of people by nature, and I think that people should be kind to one another just because. Good read.

• Reply DavidTheEntertainer September 23, 2016 at 2:57 am

Firstly, I love the hat. Secondly, it’s nice to see in this day and age someone who wants to respect others. I have, a long time ago, come to accept I will not be treated the same way.

• Reply canicolablog December 19, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I always make sure to show kindness and empathy towards others, even when I’m having a bad day. There have been days when I’m feeling down, but still willing to reach out to help others in need. It is difficult to be able to treat others with kindness when the other may not be acting with kindness. But, we can not allow that to get the best of us. It is important to carry on.

• Reply Margarita December 19, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I’ll re-phrase once more: What’s in it for us? For when one of us is harmed, we are all harmed.

Prosperity at someone’s expense, is not abundance thinking, it’s actually lack thinking.There is plenty for everyone to do well. It’s our fear of lack (if I give you something then I might not have it when I need it) that leads us to greed.

Respect for Self first. Allow That to spread like the ripples in a still pool when the pebble of Love is dropped. 😉 xoxoM

• Reply kbeezyisviral December 19, 2016 at 5:13 pm

The same energy you conjure up in your imagination is what you manifest into the world, and it will come back directly to you. Karma is a very real presence in our environment that is taken for granted.

Successful people realize how important it is to be honorable with others, not so that they can get ahead, but for the advancement of humanity and new possibilities in the future.

• Reply Vincenzo December 21, 2016 at 4:24 pm

Ciao, live for themselves would lose meaning to life, I can not conceive of this, even the personality would be affected is like to be an empty shell, is not the only thing for which life is worth living is love each other as to yourself and as you say-not necessarily have to be religious, but only “human.” Best wishes for a serene holiday to you, Johan and girls, you are well!

• Reply Treat others as you would want them to treat you – Roberta Pimentel | O LADO ESCURO DA LUA April 18, 2017 at 1:05 pm

[…] Fonte: Treat others as you would want them to treat you – Roberta Pimentel […]

• Reply Wendy April 18, 2017 at 5:14 pm

Oh so true Roberta.. and also so important to treat ourselves as well as we treat others too… x

• Reply Curlygirlabroad April 18, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I get what you are saying but I don’t fully agree. Not everyone wants to be treated the same way as you do, I personally think ‘treat others as they want to be treated’ is better!

• Reply consciousoftheheart May 20, 2017 at 1:55 am

We must be ever so careful of the of others because what we dish out is what we will receive back.