Guest post

Project BMG- “I have no special talents, I am just passionately curious” – Albert Einstein

August 18, 2016

I have never really known what I wanted to do as a career, and I always envied those who had a talent or skill and just grew up knowing what they were going to be. Besides thinking for a long time that I would become an Oscar winning actress, I have changed my mind more times than I can count. Although I still don’t know exactly which industry I fit into, I have managed to slowly eliminate things off my “try” list and at least know what doesn’t make me happy!
After always putting  pressure on myself, especially when it comes to career, and thinking that everyone had to have that one thing they were good at, find it and then stick to it- I felt so inspired after watching a video by Elizabeth Gilbert who is just incredible and has put my mind at ease!
Elizabeth Gilbert wrote the book Eat Pray Love , which was made into one of my favorite films. In the video she talks about how she spent years giving talks to audiences on how to follow your passion and that that would make everything in life right! Until she got an upsetting letter from someone who attended one of her talks and told her she was tired of being told by every successful person to follow her passion when she actually didn’t have one!
Elizabeth suddenly changed the way she looked at ‘passion’ and it really struck a chord with me that I just had to share it! I am now more motivated to continue to try different things, and enjoy the curiosity of what not knowing where I will end up. This is not to say I have any less determination to become successful, it just means I am happy to continue to go with the flow, making the most of any opportunities that come my way until I find my ‘passion’.
So while having a cup of tea, or making dinner , please take the time to listen to what she has to say and take some pressure off yourself too if you have not yet found your ‘passion’.  Elizabeth Gilbert- Flight of the Hummingbird – The Curiosity Driven Life
Taryn x

• Reply parijat shukla August 18, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Good to read 🙂

• Reply sassycatk August 18, 2016 at 1:41 pm

I am right there with you! Growing up, I wanted to be an actress, an artist, a musician, a dancer – (I wanted to be a Pussycat Doll or Rockette) – I have so many interests! I went to college, originally I wanted to be a nurse, but the RN program has a loooonnnngggg waiting list – we’re talking 2 years of waiting, and then the college I was attending lost their accreditation – but I had already decided that I didn’t want to be a nurse. I chose psychology – setting a goal to have my PH.D. by the time I turned 35. I also minored in Accounting. Well, needless to say, life intervenes and goals change. 🙂 <3

• Reply Unite-and-Inspire August 18, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Yes I agree, people change and so do their interests and so I think it can be a positive to want to try different things. I am looking to possible do psychology- how are you finding it and how long have you been doing it for?

• Reply sassycatk August 18, 2016 at 1:41 pm

..Oh.. and I love Eat Pray Love. 🙂

• Reply Best Things in Life August 18, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been there so many times. Searching for a passion, trying different careers and ticking off things along the way. I still haven’t a clue what I want from life but maybe that’s what’s keeping me curious and allowing me to see and do so much.

• Reply Masoom Jethwa August 18, 2016 at 3:48 pm