Guest post Poetry Uncategorized

Me & Pay it Forward: BMG Guest Post

August 20, 2016

wp-1471667418631.jpg

Hi everyone! I want to thank Roberta for allowing me to guest post on her blog for the second time. She asked me to write about me and my blog. I’ll tell you a little bit about myself and then talk about Pay it Forward.

My name is Lisa Amaya and I’m a 34-year-old blogger/freelance writer from El Paso, Texas. El Paso is the sixth largest city in Texas. It’s a border town that’s 45 minutes away from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and Las Cruces, New Mexico. El Paso has a rich Hispanic/Latino culture. Eighty-two percent of El Paso’s population is Hispanic. There’s no place quite like home! We have delicious Mexican food, beautiful art, about 300 days of sunshine every year, friendly people, nice mountains and lots more!

I’m a single mom to my 10-year-old son, Jacob. I started my blog, Life of an El Paso Woman on Feb. 25, 2015 after a five-year hiatus from writing. I started writing stories at 6 years old. My blog is about my hometown, the people and places here, music, the Hispanic culture, current events, etc. Aside from blogging, I enjoy spending time with loved ones, attending concerts, gardening, reading, traveling, music, Netflix, watching sports (I’m a die hard Dallas Cowboys fan!) and eating. I’m a 2004 journalism graduate from New Mexico State University. I’ve written for various newspapers and magazines over the years. You can check out/follow my blog at: www.lifeofanelpasowoman.com I hope to see you there! 🙂

Pay it Forward has become a beautiful trend worldwide. It’s happened to me, my family and a friend! According to the Pay it Forward Foundation, the movement was started in 2000 by Catherine Ryan Hyde. She’s also the author of  the book, “Pay it Forward.” The philosophy of Pay it Forward is to perform random acts of kindness for strangers in order to create a caring society. Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt and Jon Bon Jovi star in the 2000 “Pay it Forward” movie.

Me and my family have had our lunch paid for by complete strangers at fast food restaurants. A good Samaritan once paid for a friend of mine’s groceries. I forgot my debit card at home and the cashier allowed me to leave the restaurant without paying. Me and my family will never forget those days. A kind gesture like this can go a long way. It can also make someone’s day for a long time! Although I haven’t tried it yet, I would like to purchase someone’s breakfast or lunch via the drive-thru window, especially at Starbucks.

wp-1471669745707.jpg

Larry Hinkle

My day job requires me to help customers purchase advertising and answer questions in the lobby. I always meet all kinds of people. I recently had the opportunity to meet Larry Hinkle. Larry is doing wonderful things for veterans. He is a former marine who completed three overseas tours of duty. He and two other veterans are walking more than 2,600 miles to help veterans. They began their walk at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina on April 3, 2016. They hope to reach Camp Pendleton, California in 26 weeks. They organized 10 vet-togethers around the U.S. The vet-togethers is a grass roots approach that helps veterans with life and necessities. I was fascinated by their wonderful story! You can take a look at his web site here. How about you, have you ever had a Pay it Forward experience? Please feel free to share in the comments section.

Photos from Google Search

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 20, 2016 at 4:25 pm

Thank you Lisa for telling about your self and being a part of BMG for the second time 🙂

• Reply Lisa A. August 20, 2016 at 4:38 pm

Thanks so much for inviting me to be a part of your BMG project, Roberta 🙂 I had a great time!

• Reply Me & Pay it Forward Guest Post – Life of an El Paso Woman August 20, 2016 at 4:44 pm

[…] in guest blogging, check out her blog and contact her. You can take a look/follow her blog here. Please stay tuned here for my Saturday Evening Interview with Roberta later today. If you’ve […]

• Reply cwaugh212 August 20, 2016 at 5:19 pm

I enjoyed this post. My son was stationed for two years in the Army in El Paso. I hope to enjoy your blog. I always pay it forward to our service members when in a restaurant. It is the least I can do for those writing a blank check to us with their very lives.

• Reply Lisa A. August 20, 2016 at 5:25 pm

Hi there! Thank you for your comment and for following my blog! That’s really nice of you! I hope your son liked it in El Paso. A lot of soldiers don’t really like it here but there’s been some exceptions.

• Reply cwaugh212 August 20, 2016 at 5:27 pm

He liked living there. He and his wife had a small property with enough room for their two horses and two dogs. He is now a recruiter in Manchester, Connecticut.

• Reply Lisa A. August 20, 2016 at 5:32 pm

Ohh how nice! I’m glad to hear they were happy here 🙂 I appreciate their service! ❤

• Reply anotetohuguette August 22, 2016 at 3:33 am

Your post brought back a great memory for me – my boyfriend and I met a really nice older man at a local sushi joint in our neighbourhood a few years ago. He was in town as part of Keith Urban’s road crew, his nickname is Snowman, he said! We enjoyed some pleasant conversation as we all ate our delicious food, soon it was time for Snowman to go and he gave us a jaunty wave as he left the restaurant. We felt a moment of loss, what a great guy and how nice to spend some time talking with such an interesting fellow. Soon it was time for us to leave and as we made our way to pay for our lunch, we were shocked to hear that he had kindly paid for our meals! We have never forgotten his generous gesture and we continue to pay it forward when we are able. Thank you for introducing yourself in your well-written post and reminding us of the great gift of paying it forward!

• Reply Lisa A. August 22, 2016 at 3:40 am

Hi there! Thank you for reading my post and your comment! I’m glad Snowman paid for you and your husband’s meals! The small and kind gesture never gets old! It can make someone’s day for years to come! 🙂

• Reply anotetohuguette August 22, 2016 at 8:02 pm

He was a very genuine and down to earth person – my boyfriend is a musician and I love music so we had something in common to talk about as well as chatting about Vancouver. And you’re right, his gesture is now legendary in our minds and we have never forgotten! Good to hear from you!

• Reply Lisa A. August 22, 2016 at 8:06 pm

My mistake, boyfriend! 🙂 I said husband in the previous comments. Music and Vancouver sound like great topics to talk about. I want to go to Canada someday…not when it’s cold though!

• anotetohuguette August 22, 2016 at 8:13 pm

That’s O.K., we’ve been together so long he is as much a husband as he is a boyfriend! Vancouver is the second most moderate place in Canada temperature wise, our weather is similar to San Francisco, Portland or Seattle. In fact, we have friends who live in Arizona and they come up here for 6 months to enjoy the cooler temperatures.

• Lisa A. August 22, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Ooh how nice! I took a vacation to San Francisco in June. The weather was beautiful at the time. I live in the desert so it was a huge relief.

• anotetohuguette August 23, 2016 at 12:57 am

San Francisco is awesome, it’s one of our favourite places to explore and hang out in! It reminds us a lot of Vancouver!

• Lisa A. August 23, 2016 at 12:59 am

There’s so much to do and see there! The food is so delicious too! 🙂

• anotetohuguette August 23, 2016 at 1:09 am

I’m remembering Thai, eating some delicious Mexican food in the Mission area and a hole in the wall place called, “The Taylor St. Cafe ” for the best breakfasts ever! …and now I’m hungry!

• Lisa A. August 23, 2016 at 1:12 am

Yum! Same here! 🙂 We had Korean BBQ, Italian, etc. It was all awesome!

• Reply laschomer August 25, 2016 at 3:47 am

yes… you can my blog called pay it forward at thewhisperwithin.live

• Reply Lisa A. August 25, 2016 at 3:55 am