Guest post

Guest post; Let Us Light Our Candles Together.

October 20, 2016

Let Us Light Our Candles Together.

the opportunity to post on her site!

Pat Davis

kindergartenknowledge.com

flickering-candles

WE ARE SEPARATE STARS

WITHIN IN THE MUTUAL NIGHT.

AGAINST THE ENCOMPASSING DARKNESS,

LET US TOGETHER LIGHT OUR CANDLES.

When I was just out of college and totally an optimistic dreamer, I spent my extra time going to Hallmark stores to read/buy greeting cards and to read/buy small poetry books. I don’t even know if Hallmark still has those types of books anymore. I was so very impressed with these small books with the interesting pictures and drawings.

I found the above quote about “lighting our candles” in one such book. I have used it as my mantra, my focus ever since I first read the words. Mantra is defined as a word or phrase that is repeated often or that expresses someone’s basic beliefs. I would never have believed that I would keep this quote in my memory for so many years. I just knew that the words resonated with me.

I have found use for the words so many times in my life. When a very close friend married many years ago, I spoke the words as part of my toast at the rehearsal dinner. I have written the words as a special message to friends on special occasions.

When we had the memorial service for our son, we used the poem on the small printed program that we gave to our friends and relatives. One of our close family friends read the program prior to the service. When I spoke to her before the service began, she asked me if we were going to each have a candle. How I wished that I had thought about candles…maybe those small, safe battery operated candles.

As a longtime grownup person, I now understand deeper meanings to the words…

1.  We are all separate, but we need to work together as one entity.

2. Everyone experiences darkness at some point in their lives. It might be just by virtue of the time of day or the season. However, it might be because of dark feelings of sadness, fear, or incorrect understanding.

3. Encompassing…to encircle, to surround. Perhaps…to protect?

4. Let us together. What profound words in a simple poem. Let us…allow us…ask us…plead with us…tell us.

5. Light our candles. Illuminate our world. Work together to bring peace and light.

Just a small poem in a small book in a Hallmark store… and yet, the words have instilled a sense of true direction in my life.

Let Us Together Light Our Candles.

Perhaps We Need To Read These Words

As We Experience The USA Election Spectacle.

Both Candidates Appear To Have Not Received

The Message About Lighting Candles Together.

• Reply amileinmyshoes October 20, 2016 at 6:35 pm

This is lovely.

• Reply taliajabeen October 20, 2016 at 8:25 pm

i rarely do understand deep meaning’s words. and this is one of them. good.

• Reply http://www.salpa58.wordpress.com October 20, 2016 at 8:57 pm

This post really hit home for me. You see, I light a tea candle every day it is either for a person or someone who has passed and their family. I light the candle for many reasons. It sits on my desk where I spend the most time and it keeps me focused on that reason until the light goes out. I am happy to see a post suggesting that we all light our candles together. I thought I was alone in this effort.

• Reply kindergartenknowledge October 20, 2016 at 9:50 pm

I love your comment! Thank you for understanding the meaning of my post! Candles with their flickering light do help me to clarify my thoughts!

• Reply alicia October 20, 2016 at 9:48 pm

I worked at a Hallmark store in my early twenties and I would always read the books there. A quote that stuck with me in a book I read was, “Everything starts from someplace small.” Thank you for this post, it was wonderful to read:)

• Reply kindergartenknowledge October 20, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Thank you! I bought the little book that the candle quote was in, but we are about to remodel and who knows what box contains this book! I was in my twenties when I began looking at those books!! I am glad that the post brought you memories of your special quote!

• Reply Jennie October 21, 2016 at 2:20 am

Wonderful!

• Reply kindergartenknowledge October 21, 2016 at 2:27 am

Thank you! Such a nice comment!!

• Reply Jennie October 21, 2016 at 3:34 am

My pleasure! From a fellow teacher, it is a pleasure to read your words.

• Reply Let Us Light Our Candles Together. — | letmebooks October 21, 2016 at 12:22 pm

[…] via Let Us Light Our Candles Together. — […]

• Reply Anthony Tornambe October 21, 2016 at 1:57 pm

Awesome post!

• Reply kindergartenknowledge October 21, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Thank you so very much!!

• Reply Benn Bell October 21, 2016 at 8:56 pm

It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.