Life

Past, present or future?

November 2, 2016

We are living in the present and the only thing we can sort of take control over is right now. You cannot change the past and the future is unknown making the present the only certain thing.

However, there are many who tend to focus a lot on the past by either judging themselves for the mistakes they did or living by the glory of the past. On the other hand there are those who are living in the future and thinking of everything they are going to do in 1, 2 or 3 years.

What is the right approach? Should we only live in the present or let the past and/or the future affect us?ย I asked this question to my readers and I got so much response on the topic that I wanted to write a post about it and share my opinion regarding the topic. If you haven’t read the question and the following comments you can do so here.

14718599_10157624458815576_3147225529450266007_n

I think that the best thing is to live in the present. Live every moment and enjoy every day as it would be the last. However, this is easier said than done because the past often comes to haunt us. This has happened to me many times since there are some things from the past that I wish that I could undo. I judge myself for the mistakes of my past and let them affect my future. I am trying to change this though and Johan and I are woking on it. He is better at thinking that the past is the past but he struggles to live completely in the present since he tends to focus too much on the future. We are helping one another to live more in the present since we want to enjoy our life and the time right now.

I am not saying that we cannot bring nice memories with us from the past or that we should stop planning our lives. Unpredicted things might happen and you cannot foresee your future so planing it to the smallest detail would be a waste a time. So therefor my encouragement is to focus most on the present, remember the good things from the past and learn from them without judging yourself and have a vision of your future without letting the plans dictate your present.

Follow me onย ย Facebookย andย Instagram

• Reply depatridge November 2, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Reblogged this on Matthews' Blog and commented:
    Good reflection

• Reply gunnardeckare November 2, 2016 at 9:33 pm

The trick is to get the flow. I don’t know how to get there but I know the feeling when it is there. maybe it’s a combination of luck and efforts?

• Reply sheldonk2014 November 3, 2016 at 1:14 am

You have to rely on your senses
    What’s at your Immediate grasp
    it’s in that moment
    That is your control

• Reply bobbymartin76 November 3, 2016 at 1:27 am

Roberta, I love having been able to have lived so many years ,a lot have passed, and a few left in the future, because of my age become more of the present every day. That is why I am using the past history in the present, to make sure the future, will be better for all I do this for, mostly Canadians. Bob .https://t.co/1LouNZVA9H

• Reply Prachi November 3, 2016 at 2:58 am

Exactly! We waste a lot of time in our fantasies and forget to live the moment we are present in.

• Reply Masoom Jethwa November 3, 2016 at 9:39 am

Wonderful read !

• Reply lajuani November 3, 2016 at 11:17 am

Great words!

• Reply franklparker November 3, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I just nominated you for the ‘three quotes, three days’ challenge. The rules of the challenge are:
    1. Three quotes for three days.
    2. Three nominees each day (no repetition).
    3. Thank the person who nominated you.
    4. Inform the nominees.

• Reply alvarezgalloso November 3, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Love this

• Reply johncoyote November 3, 2016 at 10:03 pm

We need all the three.
    “Should we only live in the present or let the past and/or the future affect us? ”
    The past is education. Not to repeat bad actions. The future is the direction we are heading and must strive toward. The present is very important. We must make everyday worthwhile. A amazing blog dear friend.

• Reply Wm. Allen November 3, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I think each (Past, Present and Future) deserve the appropriate time given the moment you are in.

For instance, some reflection on the past can prevent mistakes.

Being in the present is especially important, especially when you are with people or engaged in some activity.

As for the future, those that don’t do any planning such as saving, will suffer.

• Reply Wm. Allen November 3, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Oh, the Past, the Present and the Future walked into a bar. It was tense. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply sparkledawn November 4, 2016 at 12:42 am

Agreed but perhaps we all live a little in the past and feel safe in our memories. The future is a little scary and exciting as it is unknown. The trick is to live each day, grab each opportunity, learn, grow and be thankful ๐Ÿ˜€