Blog Life

Status – important or not?

April 19, 2017

Status is associated with material things which are sort of a measure of how successful people are. I would also say that status is associated with power since it gives the person some kind of benefit in interaction with other people. The person lacking status will tend to admire persons with the status which can give the persons with status an advantage in the society.

Status can be inherited or come with a high profession where the salaries are really high which enables people to buy expensive things like expensive clothing, the newest technology, and expensive cars. I guess something is given the mark of status when others cannot obtain that very thing. Status differentiates a person from another by classifying them into separate groups saying that one person is more “successful” than the other person.

People tend to go very far in order to get status and some will do anything on their journey for obtaining their desired status. In Norway where I live the debt ratios are really high because people want to look richer than they really are. They take huge consumer loans with high interests and finance their principals with taking another consumer loan and in that way they are making the spiral going. There is even a TV program in Norway called Luksusfellen meaning the luxury trap where two economists help people where this way of financing their spendings has gone too far because they cannot get more loan to finance their spendings.

Why are we so eager to have status?

I think that the answer to this is because it gives some of us a feeling of temporary satisfaction and they need to show the rest of the world how successful they are. The social media is full of people trying to show how fit they are, their newest smart TV etc and of course how happy they are. I would say that the social media sells a picture of the reality that is fake. It contributes to a huge pressure because you will compare yourself to the persons that you see on the social media which actually can lead to depression if you don’t make it. It is almost expected of you that you have at least one master degree, that you have traveled the world, that you have a super fit body, that you have successful kids and that you earn a high salary.

When you achieve a certain level of these things you will always strive for more of it and the social media pinpoints the level and if you don’t make it you are a failure…I am a huge fan of the social media and I spend a lot of time there. It is a very convenient way of keeping in touch with my friends and a wonderful tool for me as a blogger to be able to promote my blog. However, I see the warning signs from too much use of the social media. It gives us a wrong picture of what is important.

So my question is; is status really that important? I would say no because you cannot bring with you anything of the status associated things when you leave this planet. I would rather say that what is important is what you contribute to this world and your happy faces on the social media don’t make the world a better place. Life has a bigger purpose than only achieving more level of success by obtaining more status. I have often been wondering why am I here and why was I created. Regardless of whether you have a religion or not, I don’t think that the humanity was placed on the planet just for showing off how successful they are and living a life of selfishness.

What is really important is how you can be a resource for other people. I want my reputation to be a humble person that cared for others because this is way more important than the ability to showing off in an expensive Tesla. I want to live a life where I can mean something to others by inspiring them and listen to people that face difficulties. Life has not always treated me well but I want to use my experiences both bad and good to mean something for other people that are facing problems and hard times. This is the status for me because success for me is helping others to also succeed.

People are often asking me why I care for other bloggers and why I start projects like BMG and the simple answer to this is that I want to see people succeed. I want to see people on WordPress obtaining more readers because every person has a different message and we can all learn from one another and grow together by developing. I don’t want my blog to be a way of getting rich rather a place where I can live out what I believe to be the real mission in life – namely making a difference in others life because that is what is important.

Follow me on  Facebook and Instagram

Take care!

• Reply cwaugh212 August 18, 2016 at 7:05 pm

This is a very well thought out post with a great message. I would like to suggest that nature has a great deal to do with the acquisition of status. Everyone wants to be able to attract the best possible mate and create the best offspring to pass their gene’s forward. You can see this in many other species of animals on the planet. The bird with the most attractive call or the strongest stallion gathering his herd of mares. Each has achieved a type of status that allows for procreation and a continuing of the species.

I think that humans have taken this to a whole new and unnecessary level. Your idea of success and status is much more pragmatic than that of the rabid social climbers. Humans really don’t have any competitors left on this Earth other than themselves. We can survive without all of the societal trappings of success.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 23, 2016 at 10:59 pm

I do agree with what you are saying and I wish that the world wasn’t that status oriented but rather having focus on what they really like and not only money and fortune.

• Reply iglengel August 18, 2016 at 7:15 pm

I agree. I write my blog for 3 reasons. 1. For myself, because I enjoy writing. 2. To share my life as a senior and retiree so others know that retirement can be a fun time of our lives, and 3. To make people laugh or at least smile.

• Reply Dermott Hayes August 18, 2016 at 8:16 pm

Status has nothing to do with evolution. Status is a devolution from advertising and marketing; to feed the desire you must create the need. Which leaves me confused, Roberta, why you should have a ‘Donations’ button at the end of this post?

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 18, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Well, the donation button doesn’t have anything to do with this post. I am trying to help some kids that are in foster care and this organisation need money for keeping the project going. I have been a voluntary myself and I saw how wonderful their work is and therefor I wanted to help them by trying to get donations via my blog. Every one that want to contribute are welcome to do so but if you don’t want then that is okay as well. They have a Facebook page where you can see what they are doing. https://www.facebook.com/Ventilene/?fref=ts

• Reply Dermott Hayes August 18, 2016 at 9:02 pm

Roberta, I don’t doubt your motives but I’m viewing this on an iPhone and all that appears is a donation button. When you’re designing your site you should be able to view it in every format.

• Reply The Vegan Mystic August 18, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I only ever met one Norwegian and she was definitely a social climber and totally pissed off that her only mode of transport was a bicycle in her 30s. At least she was super fit!

• Reply anotetohuguette August 19, 2016 at 1:18 am

A very thoughtful post with a timely message!

• Reply writingandalcohol August 19, 2016 at 3:59 am

Thank you for sharing this great post. The status always symbolize something and the problem lies in the labeling without realizing everyones one true desire, to be appreciated and to be loved. You are right in knowing what is important! Have a great day and thanks for dropping by at my blog 🙂
    Aui

• Reply gruundehn August 19, 2016 at 5:44 am

My thoughts on status is that it is respect for the person without knowing the person. Status is generally societal in nature, status here in America would rarely have any worth in, say, France. Rarely, but not always. A lot of people who don’t live in the Commonwealth have respect for the Queen so her status is worldwide, although not the same elsewhere as in the UK.
    Of my two blogs, my personal will probably never confer status as it is merely a slice-of-life rambling on my part. The other, my story and novel, blog I hope will confer some status as a popular writer. Considered so by a bunch of people I will never know.

• Reply Roberta Pimentel August 23, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Well, yes what you are mentioning is one kind of status and I do agree with you. However, in Norway there is a lot of status in for example what kind of job you have and people tend to see themselves better than others because they have a certain job.

• Reply Simon August 25, 2016 at 9:24 pm

It is important to some individuals, that’s how they get in such a state paying for it. It depends on the person…

• Reply Viral T. August 26, 2016 at 12:47 am

To me status is not important but building a positive reputation is. I really don’t care of how people see me but I have to know in my heart that I matter and so do the people I care about. I try to live by 2 mottos (of which will be a later post on my blog): 1. I don’t compare myself to anyone but my future self. 2. My dream is to do the things I love every single day so life never feels like work. My blog helps me keep sane and reminds me that my status is what I make of it not vice versa.

• Reply 83unsungheroes August 26, 2016 at 11:53 am

I once had a conversation with someone who was moving job, moving away from friends and family and one of the reasons she gave was so that in 20 years time, if she saw some of her old colleagues from her old job in the street, she could tell them how well she’s done. I told her that no-one will be impressed if “all” she has in 20 years is a job title and a high salary. I think it’s all about what motivates you.

• Reply Amitav Chowdhury September 1, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Reblogged this on Amitav Chowdhury and commented:
    ‘Status’ a term, used often, in many perspectives in relation to life and also to define progress in life.

Read this wonderful article and decide, what ‘status’ should be and how we can contribute to society to create a strong ecosystem.

• Reply consciousoftheheart September 1, 2016 at 9:55 pm

I totally agree with the last sentence of the last paragraph. I, too, blog to share a message with others and hopefully it will cause a change in their lives, brings about healing and even laughter (haven’t posted anything yet, but will).

• Reply spudbudette September 5, 2016 at 12:44 am

Wow! I thought our social pressures here in USA were heavy, what you describe more cumbersome. And I agree what we do for and with each other is what we will be remembered for and most helpful. Humility and generosity id evident in all your writings. And that is the main reason I enjoy reading your posts.

• Reply Tony Burgess September 5, 2016 at 3:19 am

I think status is a thing people strive for to get ahead or to position themselves in their community or social group. I grew up in a community where what you drive, where your kids went to school and what church you belonged to were a huge part of your overall status. People are always keeping up with the haves while they are very entrenched as have nots.

• Reply miralianna September 5, 2016 at 6:44 am

I am so grateful to be part of this WordPress community where validation of basic truths is shared like a roundabout–first connecting and then moving outward. So exciting to see the individual and collective efforts dedicated to reaching out! Thank you for stepping up and generously pouring forth your inspiration!

• Reply okotoenigma September 25, 2016 at 10:29 am

I agree with you. You all write for a reason; and everyone can learn from each other. I believe in your motives; you’re a nice person.

• Reply okotoenigma September 25, 2016 at 10:30 am

I’m glad to be a part of this WP community; and getting to know you Roberta; as well as others.

• Reply 'VIN.."O"..D'iesel.... #Mr.Crazy😇 September 25, 2016 at 11:25 am

Nooooooooo

• Reply Hans de Gans (MSW) September 25, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Thank you for sharing this message. For me, real status is given by experience in life and the lessons learned by living it. A wise person can give you so much more than someone who has status, but really does not know anything about ‘real life’. ❤

• Reply sasha September 25, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Nice one roberta!🙂

• Reply Fabio Ottolini September 26, 2016 at 3:25 am

My success is measured by my smile’s brightness. Being happy is the ultimate status! 🙂

• Reply Esther October 11, 2016 at 9:56 pm

Hi… I went through your blog. You’ve got a great blog!

• Reply Roberta Pimentel October 11, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Thank you Esther! I have just read one of your article. You have a great blog too 🙂

• Reply Esther October 11, 2016 at 10:06 pm

• Reply Vincenzo November 8, 2016 at 12:00 pm

Hello, it is very beautiful and intense what you wrote, and I find myself there completely. I never look at a person from the status this because the most interesting and sincere people I know come out or rather are not related to the status hence their uniqueness. Follow the herd or live enclosed in a fence is not the best choice to live life, to be sure one side is a quiet life but with little warmth and feeling and seeing how short do not think it right to spend it as it nor a cynical and cold selfishness. Take care, you are strong!

• Reply Human Interest November 8, 2016 at 12:06 pm

This sounds a lot like us Americans too…

• Reply Somnath November 8, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Very rightly said..infact i would like to link status and position together as they are the key to success,high salary Infact nowadays people are more bothered about success,power and position rather than being a person of value…

• Reply Business and Beyond November 8, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Very well said.

• Reply sparkledawn November 8, 2016 at 2:50 pm

Status is such an interesting topic. In my professional life I have a status however I do not consider my day job to be as important as my caring role for my parents, which is seen almost without status. The label is irrelevant to me, I am caring for them because I love them it is the right thing to do. The day job carries status and yet in the grand scheme of things, is relatively unimportant.

I love social media, especially Twitter and I hope I spread a huge amount of sparkle and positivity to people via that medium.

I started my blog not only for myself but for other carers. I want them to feel positive, to not feel alone, to know that they can still follow their dreams and feel alive and you don’t need status to succeed. Be your own beautiful unique self.

• Reply cynthiahm November 8, 2016 at 2:55 pm

I think that the quest for status can add huge amounts of stress to a person’s life. It comes with a price.

• Reply kbeezyisviral November 8, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Classicism and elitism is designed to divide and conquer us as a race which is completely foolish. I know people who are from all different income brackets and what truly matters is understanding how to be rich without money.

The real question everyone should ask themselves is: are they willing to pay the price for being ambitious, generous, patient, honorable, loyal and compassionate? All of those attributes are what contribute real richness. Dollars, cents, wealth, and power is good if used by the right people, but unfortunately mos people who have influence in the world are greedy and selfish.

When I become filthy rich there will be a lot of finances donated back into the culture to rebuild and reshape it into a stronger fabric than what it was.

Kyle

• Reply gruundehn November 24, 2016 at 2:07 pm

If you examine the Bonobo and the Chimps, our closest living relatives in the animal world, you will see a struggle for status amongst them. There is an almost constant struggle for status as it is only the high status chimps who mate, etc. Status seeking is built into our DNA.

• Reply kbeezyisviral November 24, 2016 at 5:52 pm

There’s no doubt about that, but making it your everything is when the lines become blurred and life gets a lot tougher.

• Reply Loveandsynchronicities November 24, 2016 at 5:18 am

You are definitely an inspiring blogger!

• Reply bobbyjava December 22, 2016 at 11:18 pm

I just published a blog called “What is the Value of a Life” (bobbyjava.com) and when I was done I clicked over to this blog and it completely aligned with a lot of what you wrote here. This article you wrote is outstanding. I so enjoyed reading it and you are so “Spot On” with what you wrote. Thx.

• Reply leadership2mommyship December 23, 2016 at 3:08 am

So very true! Aim for a status of being humble. Beautifully said.

• Reply jennymarie4 December 23, 2016 at 4:47 am

Wonderful message, thank you!

• Reply Habiba December 25, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Lovely message!
    I have found your blog interesting and would be glad if you pay a visit and leave your valuable feedback on mine too.
    Best

• Reply Idle Muser December 29, 2016 at 5:36 am

Quite a long time Roberta that I read something from you. But coming back, this one, again is an informative article. How the materialistic possession has intoxicated humans that they are moving towards their own end. After reaching at such a level, there hardly is a comeback.
    I wish people do understand how beautiful and genuine life is beyond this materialism and flaunting status.
    Good day Roberta! 🙂

• Reply Benn Bell April 19, 2017 at 11:52 pm

i b

• Reply Benn Bell April 19, 2017 at 11:57 pm

I believe status is important. As humans we are a social species and as such a hierarchical one. Where one falls in the chain establishes one’s status. Presumably one would want to land as high up the chain as possible. This is only natural.