Life Society sosial media

What does the future bring?

April 27, 2017

I have been walking around for a few months now with some thoughts in my head that both excite me and make me worried. I love people but I also love technology. I must admit that technology has made my life a lot easier than it used to be but also complicated in some ways. Technology has given us the opportunity to communicate with people on the other side of the globe, staying online all day and getting the latest on our smart phones etc… This is very convenient especially for me who have a family on the other side of the world. On the other hand, the negative aspects are that there is a tendency of people being less social and it affects our written languages by emojis and so on. However, even though they take away our beautiful written language and all the ways that we can express ourselves they make the texts more exciting and affect our emotions.

Even though I would like to go back to the past and leave this technology bubble I would not be able to. The only chance would be to move out to the wilderness since living in the society without technology is not possible. Technology has given us many things such as new jobs but it has also caused many jobs to disappear.

So my question is, therefore, is there any limit on the technology? How far should we go? Is there any level where we should stop?

Among the lower/middle class, the people tend to not have higher education. I can come up with one example of a profession having suffered in this group of people without higher education who are the people working in the mail service in Norway. Technology has caused that we now send a lot more letters and communicate electronically than via post and therefore the number of people needed in this service are being lowered down. Another example is the supermarkets where you now can pay for your groceries without having to pay to the guy or woman in the cashier. This comes as a direct consequence of technology.

screen-shot-2016-11-25-at-22-36-23

However, in March I read an article that fascinated me but scared me to death at the same time. In Norway, the education level is very high and having a bachelor degree is almost as common as having attended college. This article talked about something that can harm the group described above and the people that even have higher education. Robots are entering our society and might cause more professions to disappear. There are jobs that robots can do as well as humans and even do them more efficient than humans and without errors. This can cause many people with higher education to be kicked out of the job market.

Let’s face it; money talks. Businesses want to be more cost efficient and robots can help them with that. People want more spare time while earning the same salary and robots can make that happen since we are not losing productivity. Johan comes home 4.30 PM every day and he admits that he would love to finish his day two hours earlier. This is the opportunities that robots give and as the technology that we already know such as the internet gave us new jobs and changed job descriptions robots might do the same. However, I think that it will be crucial what education you choose since some professions will disappear eventually when the robot era kicks in.

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 22.37.06.png

You can read more about other articles here

Before I was regretting not having attended school but know I am sort of glad that I did not go since I now know exactly what educations that will benefit me in the future.

What do you think about robots entering our jobs? Are you scared or do you see it as an opportunity?

Follow me on  Facebook and Instagram
Post wrote in November 2016 by Roberta Pimentel

No Comments

• Reply piratepatty November 25, 2016 at 11:03 pm

Good questions. Have to think about this one..😕

• Reply drewdog2060drewdog2060 November 25, 2016 at 11:10 pm

You have written an interesting post. My view of the matter is summed up in a poem, “Crystal Ball Gazing”, which I wrote some months back:

“Will the click of a mouse
    In the virtual house
    Of the brain
    Replace
    Nature’s sweet face?
    Or can man restrain
    The genie who, perhaps already half woken,
    His words as yet unspoken,
    Holds out visions of heaven and hell.

Will men dwell
    In the half light
    Where day and night
    Lose all meaning
    And seeming
    And fact become as one?
    Has man gone
    So far
    That we lose who we are?

Can rich variety be reduced
    And man seduced
    By the girl made up of data?

Sooner or later
    These things may come
    To pass, but history does run
    In strange ways, and the historian shakes his head
    At the futurologist, now long since dead
    Who said
    “It is inevitable, For X must lead to Y”.

Ideas live and die.
    The historian sighs
    And thinks on why
    Man tries to make the world conform to some abstract law.
    He has seen it all before
    And puts but little store
    On those enamoured by neat little rows.
    The futurologist may into the future stare
    While history’s winding track leads heaven knows where”.

“Will the click of a mouse
    In the virtual house
    Of the brain
    Replace
    Nature’s sweet face?
    Or can man restrain
    The genie who, perhaps already half woken,
    His words as yet unspoken,
    Holds out visions of heaven and hell.

Will men dwell
    In the half light
    Where day and night
    Lose all meaning
    And seeming
    And fact become as one?
    Has man gone
    So far
    That we lose who we are?

Can rich variety be reduced
    And man seduced
    By the girl made up of data?

Sooner or later
    These things may come
    To pass, but history does run
    In strange ways, and the historian shakes his head
    At the futurologist, now long since dead
    Who said
    “It is inevitable, For X must lead to Y”.

Ideas live and die.
    The historian sighs
    And thinks on why
    Man tries to make the world conform to some abstract law.
    He has seen it all before
    And puts but little store
    On those enamoured by neat little rows.
    The futurologist may into the future stare
    While history’s winding track leads heaven knows where”.

• Reply blueribbonfair November 25, 2016 at 11:30 pm

I am totally in with you here and with what you have written.

• Reply Nina November 26, 2016 at 1:13 am

I think technology should be use to help make our work or life easier, but we should not let it replace our role in the world. I still think that we humans have the edge because we have feelings or emotions, we have morals and value that makes us able to decide and judge rightfully and justly. Unlike robots, they are limited to what hey are programmed for.
    I think it’s still up to us whether we allow the advance technology to eat us up or not. We can always reach out personally to people if we will to, even if we have several social medias… ☺

• Reply gary loggins November 26, 2016 at 1:20 am

Don’t worry, Roberta… the robots can never replace YOU!!

• Reply Roberta Pimentel November 26, 2016 at 1:30 am

Thanks Gary <3 Just scares me how many jobs will be taken from the weakest people. But you are so right, the robots can’t never replace You, me and us human…

• Reply Jennie November 26, 2016 at 3:22 am

It makes me scared when I consider the big picture, yet I welcome technology when it makes the day-to-day learning and communication easier and more accessible. It is people who make the technology. Technology should never replace the people.

• Reply cynthiahm November 26, 2016 at 5:54 pm

There are so many possibilities for the ways that technology is used. Hopefully we can work together so that it will be more of a benefit than a hindrance. The bottom line is we need to value people more than we value money.

• Reply Uttley November 26, 2016 at 7:09 pm

One of the areas where I get excited when it comes to technology is when you pair robotics and artificial intelligence with space exploration. The immense distances to be traveled in space may make it impossible for a man to reach another solar system, but a robot could make it. As far as mechanization meaning less available jobs, I see that that has been happening for some time. Sad in many ways, but unstoppable. There’s just no stopping the progress of technology. Ever smaller and faster processing!

• Reply nocturnalmomtalks December 1, 2016 at 2:48 am

I like this post. On my recent blog post, I mentioned about technology being evil if we don’t know how to use it.

• Reply themodernmedici December 1, 2016 at 4:43 am

Technology is as useful as it is terrifying. Just look at weapons technology and you’ll see the potential adverse consequences of progression. I’d say it’s inevitable that some form of technology will become self aware with the continued advancements of tech. Kind of scary to think about worst case scenarios from there.

• Reply What does the future bring? — Roberta Pimentel – disue December 29, 2016 at 12:42 am

[…] via What does the future bring? — Roberta Pimentel […]

• Reply Lily Von Valley December 29, 2016 at 1:20 am

Robots threaten all the sectors of employment and industry. As for the professional and middle class jobs, they too will be replaced by artificial intellegence. It seems the safest jobs for now are those servicing and creating the meachines. Later the mechines would do that. I wouldn’t mind this advancement in technology so much, if us humans could be left to live happily ever after, with robots doing their work, but I doubt that verry much. You’re right its both exciting and terrifying, but more towards terrific!

• Reply Fortunately Human December 29, 2016 at 4:39 am

That is called evolution and it continues…jobs may be lost but also created at the same time….Robots may replace humans, but only where humans want them to….However the intellectual levels of humans shall always supersede… Things may become more perfect…more orderly…the old technology has to pave the way for the newer…

• Reply designwithflair December 29, 2016 at 10:43 am

I am positive robots cannot show empathy because they have no emotional intelligence (but neither do sociopaths)…so it would be interesting to see a robot in a care home, as a marriage counsellor … directing me to a supermarket aisle…sorting out the little things that are actually massive …like someone to talk to… I love technology but I hate spam…cos it’s gibberish. When technology crashes…it’s colossal. So I feel studying any subject without passion for the subject is like being a robot…mindless and colossal. Technology is meant to enable humans carry out tasks efficiently not become couch potatoes. So, hopefully the future would not be robots…cos that would be some very cold…crash and burn world. No empathy…just sociopaths.

• Reply Darryl Walker Jr December 29, 2016 at 11:26 am

Great post! You did a good job of hiring the ways technology improves and undermines human civilization.

You asked a great question about the limits of technology. I do not think technology should be limited. Since we have self-consciousness, we can always imagine better – and that is both a gift and a curse. The universe is always changing, so technology will need to change with it.

Technology is only a problem in the hands of societies that do not know how to use it. Computers aren’t bad in themselves, but they are bad when they are used to manufacture bombs, and to exploit people. Technology is a problem because our society is problematic … technology is just the instrument we use to accomplish this. We use technology for evil instead of good in most cases. When we change our society so it is no longer obsessed with war and exploitation, technology can be more positive and consistent with human needs.

• Reply creativeworldm December 29, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Suppose has bright side.Love the post.❤

• Reply heartsinink December 30, 2016 at 10:51 pm

i think what really is at risk is US…our humanity. I support technology and how it aids us, but there are just some things that makes people human…and it exists outside of this robotic future. I am not just scared for our jobs but for the
    pleasure in the struggles we make everyday, the little errors in our beings and the passion in our emotions. There would definitely come a day when humans and robots will cohabit, and when it comes..we’ll lose a part of our humanity. That is sad